ive been crying spontaniously
    ive had thoughts of ending my life
    thoughts of harming myself
    thoughts of harming others too

now, during the day, i feel much more better
    more focused
    my head feels alot slowed down
    i feel much better
    but its during the evening where i feel horrid.
    ill yell, shout, curse at anyone who pisses me off
    ill cry for no reason
    ill be really low and depressed
    ill be really tired - yet i dont get to sleep till about 2-3am in the morning - also having vivid bad dreams.

is this normal?
    why is this happening???
    ive been worse since starting it.
    during the day, ive been better
    then as soon as evening hits
    im worse than before!

help...

2. firehawk

firehawk Member

I can't really find any decent info online for you about this drug. I encourage you to seek advice from your perscribing doctor ASAP.

I did however find this on the drug's website [concerta.net]

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Talk to your doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment of ADHD. Only a doctor can decide whether medication is right for you or your child.

CONCERTA® should not be taken by patients with: significant anxiety, tension, or agitation; allergies to methylphenidate or other ingredients in CONCERTA®; glaucoma; Tourette's syndrome, tics, or family history of Tourette's syndrome.

Abuse of methylphenidate may lead to dependence. Tell your healthcare professional if your child has had problems with alcohol or drugs, has had depression, abnormal thoughts or visions, bipolar disorder, seizures, high blood pressure or has had any heart problems or defects. If your child develops abnormal thinking or hallucinations, abnormal, extreme moods and/or excessive activity, or if aggressive behavior or hostility develops or worsens while taking CONCERTA®, consult your healthcare professional.

The most common adverse events reported in children receiving up to 54 mg were headache, upper respiratory tract infection and abdominal pain. The most common adverse events reported by adolescents receiving up to 72 mg were headache, accidental injury and insomnia.

ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:
    Talk to your doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment of ADHD. Only a doctor can decide whether medication is right for you or your child.

CONCERTA® should not be taken by patients with: significant anxiety, tension, or agitation; allergies to methylphenidate or other ingredients in CONCERTA®; glaucoma; Tourette's syndrome, tics, or family history of Tourette's syndrome. Abuse of methylphenidate may lead to dependence. Tell your healthcare professional if your child has had problems with alcohol or drugs, has had depression, abnormal thoughts or visions, bipolar disorder, seizures, high blood pressure or has had any heart problems or defects. If your child develops abnormal thinking or hallucinations, abnormal, extreme moods and/or excessive activity, or if aggressive behavior or hostility develops or worsens while taking CONCERTA®, consult your healthcare professional.

SIDE EFFECTS
    When taking any prescription medication, including CONCERTA®, your child's doctor or pharmacist can advise you of possible side effects that may result.

The most common adverse events reported in children receiving up to 54 mg were headache, upper respiratory tract infection and abdominal pain.

The most common adverse events reported by adolescents receiving up to 72 mg were headache, accidental injury and insomnia.

again, the site is http://www.concerta.net/
    YOUR BEST BET IS TO CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR ASAP.

3. i cant, not until later on

and even if i do and tell her all this
    she will take me off the medication and i dont want that because it does help
    i want something to help me
    i just...
    want everything to be sorted

is there anything else ???
    anyone had experices with it?
    help

4. firehawk

firehawk Member

I think you're jumping to conclusions here. Like I said, consult with your doctor as soon as possible. Tell her that you feel it's helping, but you're having some trouble with it at night. Tell her that you don't want to go off it yet. She may have something to try. Maybe a differant dosage, or something to help take the edge off at night. I don't know what all she could put you on in conjuction with that, but I had a similar experiance.

I forget which drugs it was, but I was on medication for ADD when I was about 13, and it was helping alot. I actually started getting better grades in school and everything. But for some reason, I was really depressed all the time. She added an anti-depressant to the regimen and soon I was doing alot better.

5. its not that i get depressed so much
    its just i get angry and frustrated
    and cry for no reason
    and i rarely sleep well
    approx 3-4 hours sleep a night
    its fucking frustrating

but i know she will take me off the meds if they are causing problems
    i dont want that
    i want everything to just be sorted for once

do u know anythin else about concerta

6. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Hun, I think you need to go to the doctor and tell them this and see what they think should be done. I hope you feel better soon. Take care. :hug:

7. but she will, say ive not got adhd and then things will be left unsorted! i want it sorted out now

8. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Someone who hasn't studied these things wouldn't know enough what to do for you hun. :( best thing I can tell you is to check with the doctor.

9. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Sarah,

Did you ask about clonidine to help the sleeplessness? It's a standard secondary treatment for ADD, to eliminate problems caused by sleeplessness in the evening. It can make a large difference.

Concerta (and the other ADD stimulants) are all fairly quick-acting. You're not having problems during the day, when you have a significant amount in your bloodstream. That sounds like the problems you've been experiencing are coming from the tail end of the dose keeping you from getting to sleep at a reasonable hour. And lack of sleep will lead a lot of people into headaches, depression, etc.

Other sleep medications could also help. Since it's hard to become dependent upon the newer sleep meds, you shouldn't be concerned about taking them.

So when you see your doctor, you don't need to spin it as "Concerta is driving me crazy," because it's when you have the *least* Concerta in you that you're having troubles. Rather, spin it as, "Concerta is keeping me from getting any sleep, and that's driving me crazy."

10. firehawk

firehawk Member

Like I said earlier. Tell your doctor that you DON'T want to go off the concerta. Tell her that you feel it helps during the day, but it makes you feel weird at night and gives you insomnia.

She won't say that you don't have ADHD, especialy if she's the one that diagnosed you. The worst thing that could happen is that she recommends a differant drug, in which case she'd ween you off the concerta and ween you onto something else that you both agree on, the best thing that could happen is she could add another drug to stabilize you at night and help with the insomnia.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that you were suffering depression at night, I was telling you about how the drug I was on was messing with my neurotransmitters enough to cause severe depression, and how my doctor added another drug to rebalance them, after which I kept my good grades in school, and was no longer suffering from depression.

I hadn't thought about that, nedflanders. If he's right, then your doctor may also modify your dose so that you take one in the morning and one at night. That way, if ned's theory (which I find to be very likely) is correct, you'll no longer get that tailing low dosage left behind causing these issues. Also remember to add that you feel it's helping you during the day.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2008
  11. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

i dont know about concerta but I sure know that my AD i.e. cymbalta has made me unable to sleep at all without any sleeping pills and no matter how tired I am, I can't shut down without my sleeping pills. Imagine my awakeness being dictated by medication. Before taking meds, I could sleep whenever I feel like.

12. hi everyone
    thanks for replying

my mum went to see my doc and my doc said that the dose was probably way too high, causing all the problems which usually does happen if the dose is too high, so shes prescribed me 27mg concerta now.
    so i hope that 'agrees' with me better...

thankyou everyone...

13. nedflanders

You seem to have misunderstood me. I think the issue is that the remaining dose is causing sleeplessness, which is in turn causing all the other problems. My suggestion would not be to add more Concerta, which would tend to keep the patient awake even longer, but rather to add a sleep aid, to counteract the sleeplessness caused by the Concerta.

Sarah, I hope your reduced dosage works out well by itself. But if it isn't enough to do the job during the day, then an alternative would be to bump it back up again and add a sleep med.

14. nedflanders

Concerta and Cymbalta are very different beasts. Cymbalta is a selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor used for depression. Concerta is a controlled-release form of Ritalin, a stimulant used for attention-deficit disorder. They work in completely different ways, and experience with one has nothing to do with experience with the other.

15. thankyou nedflanders, youre very helpful i appreciate it alot

16. nedflanders

Tee hee. That's not a statement I see very often around here!

17. lol well its very true
    youre really helpful
    youve helped me alot
    thankyou
    x

18. firehawk

firehawk Member

Lol, OK, so i did misunderstand you. Oh well, my overall point was a change in the dose. lol.

Anyways, glad you got through it, Sarah. And I hope all goes well with the new, lower dose. PM me with the results. I can't wait to see how much it helps :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.