helping others on here?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by IV2010, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Do you feel like trying to help people on here is making you feel worse or better?.....and why?

2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I like to help others on here, it helps me understand myself more whilst helping someone else. The problem is at the moment I am not in the place I try to and those I care about I will be there for however much it hurts me. How about you IV? So overall better, but when I feel like this so much guilt for not being able to help I am sorry.

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

It depends where I am mentally/emotionally, and where I am in terms of location/safety.

I don't know if what I say helps anyone much. I usually post to others when I'm feeling relatively well, rather than seriously unwell. When I'm very unwell- I usually talk to myself which helps me, I don't have the compulsion to help everyone when I'm on the edge, no, and I don't feel guilty for it.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I know people will disagree, but I don't think you can help others. People may read what you've said and help themselves, but ultimately it's up to them.

5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I have found it really helps me to try and help others generally...
    however there have been a few incidents where I've been treated badly and it's only served to put me back in my 'place'....

6. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I think it makes me feel better at times as well as worse at times. If that makes sense :unsure: Sometimes its good but sometimes it scares the hell out of me :(

7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

You can offer people your thoughts, but I'm not sure if I would really call it helping.

The thing I've noticed most on this site is that the original poster usually does whatever the hell they planned on doing regardless of what anyone says to them.

Not to mention there is often much beratement for offering advice that is not pitying or coddling.

I don't really feel much of anything after trying to help as I've come to realize beyond words there is nothing I can do.

It's all on them after that.

8. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Usually just makes me feel helpless, because as fawkes said, people will always do what they were going to anyway.

Again, agreeing that the truth is often seen as being insensitive etc...

9. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you say Fawkes...
    it's taken me a while and a few 'blows' to see this...

10. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

I wish I could help.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to do that from a position of weakness. I'd rather not promise anything, because giving false hope (to someone who needs the real thing) is not a virtue in my book.

And what works for me may not work for someone else.

11. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Helping others helps me feel good at the end of the day. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.