Helping out depressed girlfriend?

Evening all!

My wonderful girlfriend who I've been together with a while now (a year and a half? although my maths is terrible) is depressed.

That is okay with me, I try to understand most times and provide comfort. We have talked many times about it as well and figured out some good strategies.

She is the type that doesn't want a lot of attention, and when she's sad she just retreats into herself. I give her the necessary space, and slowly she eventually gravitates back towards me for comfort, etc. and we go from there. This usually happens in the span of a few hours - up to a day.

However here I am asking you folks for some advice - what do I do (or not do) in order to make things as comfortable and as 'okay' as possible?

She is a very lovely person - the loveliest and kindest I've ever had the honour of meeting, let alone be romantically intertwined with - and she is the last person on this earth to deserve to feel like this. I don't want to be overcaring/overbearing with her, especially when she is in a negative mind state, but I still want to help out as much as I can - sitting idly by whilst a loved one is suffering is difficult, as I'm sure many of you will know.

Thanks all and have a blessed evening!

All the very best,

Ronan.

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
Just letting her know that you'll be there for her when she feels up to talking again is probably the best thing you can do for her, and it already sounds like you're doing that.

The only foolproof way to know for sure what would make her feel comfortable would be to ask her directly. I was thinking of suggesting you could find some music or a video you think she'd like that you could show her when she got back, and say it made you think of her, but if she doesn't like attention then maybe she wouldn't like that? Hm.

Anyway, your relationship sounds very sweet.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00