Helplines or nohelplines?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by TheWr0ngChild, Aug 13, 2008.

Are crisis helplines any good?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2008.
  1. Yes, they really helped me

4 vote(s)
  2. No, they did not provide a good service

4 vote(s)
  3. They take too long to get through to

1 vote(s)
  4. I have never called one

8 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

When I called & emailed the Samaritens I was pretty shocked at the response I got. They had never heard of Aspergers Syndrome, and I even got told there was nothing they could do for me and I should see the doctor. I tried to explain that my anxiety is too bad to do that, thats when they really made me feel like a time waster and one of them basicaly hung up on me. All they were bothered about is was I suicidal, that was it.
  2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i rang the 'samaritans' helpline, told them all my problems and all the woman said was 'god you must be suicidal!'
    thats how useful they are!
  3. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Here in the states I rang the national helpline twice - they helped me once stop from making a bad decision to end my life when I had other options they helped me to see, so it was a good experience.

The other time I called the helpline three police cruisers pulled up with guns drawn (cause I told the helpline woman I had a gun) - they took me to the hospital where I got booked - so that's a bad experience.
  4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

They don't "book" (or charge) you at the hospital for needing help, so something is amiss.
  5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

hi i rang The Samaritans only to be transferred to my LOCAL Crisis Line, same city.

Christ Almighty.

So now they have my information medical and all, as well of course my name age, address.... Fuck me in the (excuse me one moment ladies) butt with a cucumber. :eek:hmy::rolleyes:

"Great" I'm thinking. So much for anonomity. If I so such as *hinted* that I was contemplating sui-suci, they would have had me in handcuffs off to my local nuthouse, by law.

GOOD GRIEF; I don't mean to be hyperlous, but where are these "Samaritans"? Where are the FRIENDS when you n.... Pffftt. Forget it.

My mind harkens to that page where it keeps saying, "ok, now you have one more ally in your corner" or something. Remember? The balance scale diagram? I can't find right off, but toward the end--and it's a compassionate page--but still.

Toward the end it directs you to... you guessed it. "Ok, now I want to call someone" and gives (i believe) the Samaritans thingy.

Bleh. What people don't know is "The Samaritans" is really one big routing network to local Crisis Joint. LOL

There is no "there" there. Like Hospice--more an IDEA than a place or tangible recourse.

* * * * *​
    That said, the lady--a lone, pretty much untrained volunteer--did serve as someone to talk to for a half hour. But beyond that? Nah. Nothing else there to speak of.
  6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have used the suicide helpline in ireland. it is staffed by mental health professionals, so none of that non-directive samaritans approach. it helped alot to talk to them. i was ready to attempt again and they talked me out of it. i was on the phone for about 2 1/2 hours the first time i called and there was no sense of being rushed to get off the line. it was a good experience. since that first call i have called several times; they also asked if they could call me back to check in with how i was doing and so every week i would get an incoming call from the helpline! how's that for service. they saw me through some difficult times. so that's my experience, very positive.
  7. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I think the whole concept of "I am suicidal" is silly, I mean if someone was really suicidal would they call?

Anyway I have called a bunch of them in the last few weeks just because I have been going crazy and needed someone to talk to, when they asked if I was suicidal I said no they seem disinterested, I even explained my problem to one person and I am 99% certain they were laughing at me
  8. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hi Dazzle! That is an exemplary example of the standards which The Samaritans and ALL mental-health hotlines should strive for.

Clearly and unfortunately we have a long way to go (even in the U.S. of all places).
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  9. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I emailed the Samaritans one time. I think they sent back a form response, but never heard again from them. When I've been really close to death, I've twice checked myself into a suicide crisis facility - a really nice one set up for short stays. So, I haven't found call in help to be of much use. They always say to go to the ER, but what are they supposed to do? In a small hospital, they're not set up for much psychiatric care.
  10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Oh, of course. You have to understand the term "really suicidal" is a judgement in itself and presumes to cover a very wide spectrum of the human condition.

That was a lot of words to say that emotional pain is highly subjective.

Why didn't you ask then. You know. Just be either 100% certain or to know you were 100% wrong.
  11. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

That is such a great poin!. And you also reminded me of some MAJOR confusion I had. If I remember right, it's THE SAMARITANS who have their universal/generic "Jo" who offers to help you.

So I may have been mistaken, at least with the e-mail. Jo is always there for you, so they claim anyway.

I dunno what I'm talking about anymore, now. :( Those damned red pills. I KNEW I should never have taken the red pills. :laugh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.