here because of mental illness or just life?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sunshinesblack, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

title says it,
    for me, im not sure, think life, but do not rule out mental illness completely either

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

mental illness in my case (bipolar and ptsd).

3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Both...

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I really have no clue. It likes to change between the two :dry:.

5. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I'd contend that one leads in many cases to the other...

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Both, but my life problems stem from social anxiety. Bipolar disorder slays me, though.

7. oval

oval Well-Known Member

mental illness, which leads me to not being able to handle life

8. liktheangel

liktheangel Active Member

I'm not sure if I have a mental illness...Life is hard though.

9. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

10. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

the harshness of life has made me mentally ill, i can't handle easy daily tasks due to my schizophrenia and paranoia.

11. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Both for sure

12. sunshinesblack

yah i agree, but you still know what came first or what is more proeminent

maybe lol
    truth is I am not sure of me, that's why am asking others

13. sunshinesblack

yah but what came first? (original cause)

14. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

This is such a hard question that has come to mind so often that it in itself will drive me nuts, lol. But really.......

I think the life part brought on alot of my mental issues, but then again "they" say its hereditary and I can believe that because my "drug addict Mom" and piece of junk "Murderour Dad" both have mental issues.

I grew up in a very, very drug infested violent family, where if there wasnt fighting every single day then something just wasnt right in our world. Seeing this year after year day after day has been a life burdening weight on my back. Im also a victim of sexual and physical abuse as a child from my father and 2 uncles, so that didnt help matters either.

I ended up starting to abuse myself with drugs and sex when I was still way to young to even understand, I reach out for any attention that anyone would give me.

At 17, I met my H who was in the Navy and we got married 8 months after I met him. I moved away from home and the life that I knew to be with him. My H has been my savior, without him I dont know where I would have ended up. Not to discredit myself, I was working and paying bills at 15, I has also already taken my GED and passed that, but it seemed that I was in a holding pattern, waiting for the next move.

My H comes from a good family with happy upbringings, so Im learning from him what childhood should have been like. I have 2 boys, 5 & 11 that keep me going, give me a reason to get up everyday and fight for life, for whatever happiness I can get.

Do I think that I could have been a happy person as an adult the Yes, I do. I do believe in my case I would have been a happy person if it wasnt for my childhood and alot of things that has happened since then.

At this point in my life, Im 33, Im finally starting to realize that life is what I make it. I still continue to smoke pot, and I still continue to self hate, I take my meds I get off my meds, I still have the urge to just give up every now and then.

But then I open my eyes and look into my children faces and see thier future, I can either fight to try and give them everything that I didnt have or I can give up and maybe cause a rerun of myself in them.

So now that I blah, blah you to death, sorry I think I will answer your question and say that in my case life came first.

Your turn.......:yeah:

15. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Definitely my mental health (I don't like the term mental illness, not sure why). If I didn't have mental health issues, I actually think my life could be quite good.

16. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

Life made me mentally ill making me not able to handle life.

17. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I joined because of life, but turns out I also have a mental illness. So both.

18. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Like doityourself I had an insanely violent and chaotic upbringing which in itself would have sent me to the brink then here at this forum. Looking at my relatives there was tremendous alcoholism and mental instability on my father's side and rampant substance abuse on my mother's.

I'm here for being suicidal over factors from nature and nurture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.