Here's how stupid I am

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by resistance, Feb 22, 2008.

1. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I am so angry and upset with myself.

I have just got home, I've been on a training course today and it finished earlier than expected, I was walking home and walking through town I see a woman sitting on a bench, slumped. I looked back and saw another woman walk over to her (a stranger to the woman - didn't know her) and was shaking trying to wake her up, shouting at her but got no response. I walked a few more inches but kept looking back and I ended up turning around and walking to the woman. I can't walk past someone who looks like they need real medical help. I just can't. Not only because of my own moral standing but when I joined the British Red Cross, one of the fundamental principles is to protect life and death, and "to prevent and alleviate human suffering wherever it may be found" (I strongly believe in this, hence why I joined the Red Cross), and if I walked past her, I would have broken this principle. This woman looked really ill and I would hate to walk away and for me to do nothing and for her to end up dying.

So I go over to her and check her pulse, she had a weak pulse, semi-conscious and was letting out little moans every now and then and her breathing was slow. The woman next to me said she'll phone an ambulance. I keep talking to her then a man appeared and laid her down (she was a big woman). As he was doing this I was talking to the woman who found her first and the next thing I know, she sits up on the bench and is alert then she gets up on her feet and fucking walks away, shouting obscenities as she goes. A man walks up to us and says he knows her and it was probably drugs induced. Which, I guess, kinda makes sense. The woman who was with me said to the woman she found, "you stupid cow - you scared the shit out of me I thought you were dying or dead" - she wasn't the only one who thought that.

I feel angry, at myself more than anything. For being so fucking gullible and falling into that trap. Druggie or no druggie, I give too much of a damn about people. I just can't help myself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

You are by no means stupid Res. AT ALL!!! You did the humane thing. You thought she was sick or dying. That shows you have a heart and you care about the well being of others. Most people would havee just walked by and if she was in dire need could have died. You said it best. You can't break that code and you didn't. I'm proud of you hun!!

3. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

you'll have to ask yourself why you feel stupid. I don't really know. I know I felt stupid when I found out that a girl I liked had a boyfriend. Maybe it's a bit like that. Maybe you can learn something from this situation, but you did the right thing - erm maybe talk to your Red Cross friends about it and see what they think? :hug:
  4. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

You thought she needed medical attention (with shallow breathing and a weak pulse it sure sounded like she did), so you stopped and tried to help her. You aren't gullible, I would've fallen for it too.

It is understandable that you're angry because you felt as though you were "had" by this woman, but you should be angry at her rather than at yourself.

You're not stupid, I think you just wear your heart partially on your sleeve is all. And that's not a bad thing.
  5. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I feel stupid because it messed with my emotions, because I thought she had died or was dying. I deal with broken bones, spinal injuries and the like when doing Red Cross stuff, but haven't come across something like this before, where I thought someone was so close to death, I guess it was a shock to the system, especially shocking when she got on her feet and walked away.

Also the whole drugs thing, it irritated me. If people want to do drugs, at the end of the day, I know that's their decision, but right in the middle of town. :dry:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  6. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

I understand exactly what you mean. I guess you feel like you were doing something good and proactive and then it blows up in your face like that. In this case I think you should stand up tall and be proud of what you did, because a lot of people would have just walked by. You did something good so I hope you will be rewarded in one way or another. When this kind of thing happens the natural thing is to be more cautious next time, but I hope you still have the heart to help others.
  7. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

:hug: res, you possess rare gift, you want to help anyone and you respect your moral rules. But, from my experience, people, unfortunately, dont really recognize that gift and respect it. You are a good person and you arent stupid!