Heresy? Blasphemy? Me?(DANGER tigger to some)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by WhyMeWhy, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Heresy, is a "theological or religious opinion or maintained in opposition, or held to be contrary, of the Christian Church, or, by extension, to that of any church, creed, or religious system, considered as orthodox.

Blasphemy is the defamation of the name of one or more gods. These may include using sacred names as stress expletives without intention to pray or speak of sacred matters. Sometimes blasphemy is used loosely to mean any profane language

In a broader sense, blasphemy is irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable.

Many cultures disapprove of speech or writing which defames the deity or deities of their established religions, and these restrictions have the force of law in some countries.

I'm not an athiest. I'm agnostic. But I blasphemise to the extreme. According to the bold print above, I should be punished for this :eek:hmy: sorry that I don't know whether or not god exists....my life has made me deny "Him & his everlasting love/forgiveness" to the extremety of what some would call Heresy. Not to beliitle anyone who does believe, not tryin to start any fights. The thread title is a question I've asked myself.....and I would be interested in any opinions from anyone. What do you think of those 2 words & how do they affect you? Do you believe I should go to hell for my opinions. Engaging in the practice of both is something I never even thought about, untill now, matter of fact let's broaden the questioning:
    How many of you engage in the practice of either one? And how does it make you feel to do so? As far as my feelings go it's no big deal, then again, I'm not religious at all.

2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I don't think you should be punished for having your beliefs or not having your beliefs. People are entitled to believe what they want to and I don't think they should be punished for not believing. I myself have doubts about whether god exists or not. I believe what I believe but I do not feel I have to go to church to show my undying faith to someone that might or might not exist.

As for the two words above I have to say i have used God's name in vain alot. I mean if I stub my toe I scream god damnit. I use jesus christ often also. Just because I do that does not mean that I should be punished it's me in pain and using what words come to mind first. So I don't know if that matters or not

That's my two cents. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.