Herpes anyone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by h2man, Sep 22, 2013.

1. h2man

h2man New Member

I just found out I have Herpes 2 and am struggling to deal with the social implications... I don't have any outbreaks or sores, but still feel obliged to tell prospective dates since I found out... I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on this?

I find it strange that most people don't even know they have it (I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gotten a full blood test) and thus they go around without telling anyone (obviously) but now I have to tell everyone, even though the person I am telling might likely have it and not even know it! It all seems a bit unfair...

Anyway, any thoughts on dealing with it would be appreciated... I am starting to think I will never date again despite the fact that 25% of women (I am a straight man have it, but only 15% of them know it... so, out of 100 possible prospective dates, 25 have herpes, only 4 know it - so out of 100 women, I could only really expect 4 to say 'hey, it's not a problem' as they would know they have it... not very good odds!!!

Sometimes I think my only options are to kill myself or live alone the rest of my life... which would be like slowly dying
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think you just have to be sensible in a situation like this and make sure that if you are going to have sex with someone, that it's protected sex! And also to not engage in sexual activities when you have got sores down below because they are not always contained to around the genitalia. You also need to keep yourself as healthy as possible, because the minute you get run down, you are more at risk of getting sores. It may put some people off telling them that you have herpes, but if you explain that it's dormant and you will be having protected sex most women would be understanding because they prefer honesty.
  3. Dalitamonsta

Dalitamonsta Member

My ex girlfriend had it and told me months after we started dating. We didnt do anything and are now engaged. If someone loves you for YOU they will except u:)
  4. themute

themute Active Member

When I went to my doctor about getting an std screening I asked about getting a blood test for herpes. She told me that blood tests for herpes are not really worth it because the results can be pretty inaccurate. I can't remember exactly what she said because it was a while ago, but she did say something about immunities affecting results and stuff. I would recommend looking into this some more, because my doctor said the only real way to know if you have it is if you get sores that blister and then the blisters are swabbed and tested. I live in Canada and we don't pay for healthcare and testing, so I sort of wonder if things that are less practical get filtered out because no one is really making considerable money off it.