Hey everybody!!

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Dylan777, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylan777

Dylan777 New Member

Hi all,

My name is Dylan, and i'm from South Africa.

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety since I was a young boy.

It all became utterly unbearable when I was studying and living Austria. I woke up one morning with my heart filled with anxiety and no motivation at all. At first I thought it was just the home sickness and seasonal depression(coming from a very sunny country, it was the logical diagnosis). I finally decided to quit and come home.

Unfortunately it never got better. I've lost all my friends, and i'm unable to find a job due to the debilitating depression and overwhelming fear of being rejected. My father seems to think i'm just a lazy sponger, and does not really understand mental illness. Therefore i'm afraid of telling my parents what's actually wrong with me. I was always told to suck it up and keep my chin up, but I can't do it anymore.

That's why i'm seeking help here.

Thanks for reading!! Have blessed day!!
  2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hello Dylan and welcome to the forum, I know you'll find support and understanding here. There a lot of good people on this forum. I just joined several days ago myself and like you suffer from depression, anxiety and panic disorder. It's a safe place to open up and share as the people here understand. Wishing you all the best and again welcome.
    AdamTide likes this.
  3. Dylan777

Dylan777 New Member

Hi Brian,

Thanks alot for your warm welcome. It's awesome to know that there are other people that understand what i'm going through.

Have a great day mate
    Brian777 likes this.
  4. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

Dylan, welcome to the board. :) You'll find a lot of help from caring people here. I know all about anxiety and depression and how awful and crippling it can be. One thing that may help is to think as positively as you can. You are a good person who deserves happiness and peace in life. There is GOOD to be had in life. Another good thing that can help is music. Music is therapy. One good uplifting, comforting song is Rockabye by Shawn Mullins. In it he sings "everything's gonna be alright." And in Breathe, Anna Nalick sings "Cradle your head in your hands and breathe, just breathe." Something else that can be a huge help is helping others. It helps them AND you. You could volunteer at a local charity or donate to your local food closet. It helps you feel useful and productive. It shows you are getting something out of life. Find something you enjoy and focus on that. Get good out of each day. Do stuff to get your emotions OUT. Whether it be writing or walking or going for a scenic walk or taking a nap or getting a good hot shower/bath. Just anything. I and we are here for you and you ARE going to be ok. :) hug
    Brian777 likes this.
  5. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Dylan. I'm happy you found us.
    I really hope you'll find the help and support you need here, either on the forum or in the chat rooms.
    My inbox is always open as well.

I am sorry to hear about your struggles. Are you getting any help to deal with it?

Take care of yourself, and also, do be kind to yourself!
    AdamTide likes this.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

What comes to mind when you talk about your father is ''you cannot teach an old dog new tricks''. Welcome to the forum, I am glad you found us and thanks for ''following'' me, that means a lot. I am sorry for what you are going through but just know you do not have to go through it alone. You seem like a nice person that has their wits about them, get out into the world and get professional help, despite what your father says, mental illness is very real, otherwise there would be no psychiatrists or psych nurses or suicides. Know you can talk to us here freely without being judged. I also suffer from very bad anxiety. I hope things improve for you soon. Good luck to you and remember to keep us updated!
  7. AdamTide

See all the love and support you have on here ? :) Like Petal said, you're not alone. We've got your back. :) You reaching out for help shows how STRONG you are.Focus on trying to get GOOD out of each day and the rest will take care of itself. "Hold on strong, don't let go."-Darius Rucker
  8. Dylan777

Dylan777 New Member

Thanks for all your support, care, and optimism guys. I really appreciate it. It feels as if my spirit has already been lifted by your encouraging messages.

To answer question. Yes I have seen a psychiatrist when I was still living in Austria, but it didn't really help. He spent an hour asking me when my depression started in 11 different ways. Afterwards he prescribed some pills that don't seem to have any effect at all.

So after that i'm quite reluctant to go see a psychiatrist again.
  9. AdamTide

Glad we have helped lift your spirit. Your appreciative attitude helps us feel good about ourselves and helps us feel appreciated which in turn makes us want to help others.
  10. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Hey Dylan, welcome to the site. I'm glad you joined and really hope you find lots of support here. You aren't alone in what you're going through.
    AdamTide likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.