hey!...well i was just wondering.....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shock, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hey, i just wanted to post this, cause i dont know what else to do. please forgive me if its long winded or whiny.

well, i did what mum said and i went to see a councillor today about depression.... and i think i might have pissed him off. things went well at first but then he got all agitated. i think he thought i was some spoilt brat kid who just wanted attention or something. he said stuff like i have it pretty good compared to other people he sees, which made feel really guitly. i know i dont have a drug problem, my parents are still together and all, i know i really am pretty lucky, and i am very thankful for that. but i know, as does my dr who put me on meds, i do have a depression problem that seems to be getting the best of me (ie: making me think stuff i shouldnt). all i wanted to talk about was my depression problem and how to get over it, but now i feel heaps worse

Did i waste this guys time? should i just keep taking the meds and shut up?
  2. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Seems like he wasn't a very good counsellor :dry:

To begin with, you weren't longwinded or whiny, don't worry :hug:
    Now, instead of you wasting his time, I think he's wasted yours. Telling you you "have it pretty good compared to other people he sees" is absolutely pointless. Things like that only make even 'healthy' people feel bad, and make depressed people feel even worse. Depression is not something you can stop yourself having, not something that can be snapped out of, and something that can happen to someone regardless of their past and present. Just because you don't have a drug problem and your parents are still together, doesn't mean you don't have any less of a right to be depressed than someone who has an addiction, or a traumatic past, ok? The causes might be more subtle, but depression is an illness, and it can happen to anyone.

I think you should look for another counsellor hun, that one just seems really insensitive. Please don't keep taking the meds and shut up though, keeping things inside really isn't a good thing, and it will just hurt you more in the end. If the meds are helping you then keep taking them, and try looking for another counsellor.

I hope this has helped. And remember, you never have to shut up on here either :)
    Take care of yourself, and please let us know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.