Hi :) Bipolar.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Khvde, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Hi. Right now I am diagnosed with adhd and depression but i was almost going to get a bipolar diagnoses.
    Could people here with bipolar help me understand how bipolar presents itself in somebody's life?
    I search internet for bipolar but they all have the same copy paste, useless info on bipolar.

BlackUnderground likes this.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

There i s an article on bipolar in the home section of the forum that was written by a member here for many years that has bipolar. ( https://www.suicideforum.com/2016/03/27/what-is-bipolar-disorder-signs-symptoms-treatments/ ) It was written by a member, is not copy paste anything. So far as how it presents itself in life, everybody is different and and bi polar varies greatly in severity and how it effects people so what it does to one person may be very different than another. If you were seen and and diagnosed by s psychiatrist or psychologist then there best guess is better than what comparing to somebody else's description is going to be. The fact that it is like 8-10 years on average before getting a diagnosis attests to the fact it is often misdiagnosed and the difficulty in dx. The problem is , with your dx of adhd and depression it is very easy to see how that could be very closely resembling the symptoms of mania and depression. If you are on depression meds and find yourself getting manic more often or more intensely since starting the depression meds, that would be a strong indicator that perhaps was bi polar as that often does not respond well to depression meds, and is better treated with mood stabilizers.

Be your own advocate, and perhaps list some examples of the things that are going on in your life to make you question the Dx for feedback form others. If you really feel they have the Dx wrong, go talk to another psychologist or psychiatrist, and have then do the work up from scratch as opposed to just commenting on your previous records. Make sure you are getting the treatment you feel is working. Ultimately, the label is irrelevant, it is the effectiveness of treatment that matters. If the treatment is not improving your quality of life then it is the wrong treatment regardless of Dx.

Khvde likes this.
  3. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I can get better but also can get a lot worse with antidepressants or ritalin.
    My first depression started when I was 14 I guess. I have persistent depression but this might be about adhd and low self love.
    I believe I have adhd, i even got tested for it. But adhd meds arent doing me that much favors, of course i would be worse without them.
    I heard if you have additional problems such as depression or anxiety (i have them both) your benefit from adhd meds declines.
    Right now I only take ritalin as a med.

4. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I agree with you, important thing is benefiting the treatment not the dx.

Also, is ptsd an anxiety disorder?

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

copy paste - "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can develop after experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event, or learning that a traumatic event has happened to a loved one. DSM5 defines a traumatic event as exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence."

(that happens to be a very very generous definition for causation, looking at the DSMV and more importantly reading the definition and rates of exposure/intensity believed to lead to ptsd is far more reasonable than making assumptions based on that which would imply anybody that ever even knew anybody that died or was abused was prone to ptsd....

Khvde likes this.
  6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I am the member who wrote the article on Bipolar Disorder. What symptoms are you having that make you suspect that you have Bipolar Disorder? The best thing to do if you suspect you have BP is to keep mood diaries for a length of time as it will pick up patterns in mood and behaviour.

Khvde likes this.
  7. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Thank you NYJmpMaster.

8. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I dont think or want to be bipolar and any other disorder additional to adhd. Adhd is more than enough to complicate my life.
    I dont suspect bipolar myself but psychiatrists I visited before do and they act worried about that. My current psychiatrist was also in a worryig mood but later I got tested for adhd and results were positive also we had a talk which helped my pschiatrist too so he was very relieved i wasnt bipolar but adhd. It made me feel weird.

9. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Thank you for the article, also mood diaries is a nice idea since I have both adhd and depression, I would benefit from it.

MisterBGone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.