hi i am self harming

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dawn72, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

Trigger I am self harming myself. I was doing this a few months ago and stopped for awhile now started again and it is getting bad. I think I am trying t cover up my feelings I don't know though. I am getting scared.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

HI hun please try to stop ok i know it is used as a coping skill but go to your doctor ok get some therapy that will help you to deal with your pain in a positive way
    You have suffered enough hun don't harm yourself ok show yourself compassion
  3. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

I am taking a scissor and cutting my arms it releases some tension for me it feels good like a high.
  4. goneforever

goneforever Active Member

yeah I was in the same boat as for the feeling it gave me. I used a razor not scissors but it was a rush. just try to replace the need of hurting yourself with something positive. I know its not easy but try it for yourself.
  5. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

I am still cutting myself I can help it I don't realize I am doing it sometimes I just do it. It feels so good takes all the pain away for awhile.
  6. AnaNg

AnaNg Antiquities Friend

I don't know if you are at the place where you want to stop harming, but it is clear to me that you're hurting. Total eclipse is right. You do need to take this to your doctor and try to stop. It is a coping mechanism but all it does is blunt the pain and delay having to deal with whatever issues are underneath those feelings of wanting to hurt yourself. That said, I know from personal experience how hard it is to stop and how crazy intense the urges can be. I used to feel like if I didn't cut myself I was going to jump out of my skin. It's a horrible and agonizing feeling.

One thing that can help you resist the urge until you're able to get professional help to stop self harming is to use another powerful sensation to replace the one you feel when you cut. One of the very best ones is to use ice cubes. The way it works is that when you have the urge to self harm, go to the freezer, grab a few ice cubes (enough to hold some in each hand without dropping them) and you squeeze the ice cubes. It will give you a pretty intense pain and should distract your mind long enough to get you through that moment. If you need to, hold the ice until it melts completely and repeat as necessary. Also, while holding the ice cubes, try to focus your mind on the sensation that the ice is creating in your hands. It also helps to do this over a sink or somewhere you don't mind dripping water on so you don't have to clean it up later. It won't cure everything but it will help buy you some time and keep you from harming yourself in a way that will stay with you forever. I've been free from self harm for four years now but I have some nasty scars that are a painful reminder of all the times I self harmed.

So go see your doctor and in the meantime, try the ice cube technique. I hope you are able to free yourself of this and of the pain that has brought you to it. (((hugs)))

7. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

thank you Anang I will try the icecube thing. I did try the rubberband thing didn't seem to work for me did for awhile then stopped working. I am hurting yes physically and mentally exhausted I am. I just want to the pain to stop. the cutting taks some of the pain away kind of numbs me for awhile. I will try the ice cube thing though thanks,.
  8. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

ice cube don't work I am still cutting I cant stop it.
  9. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

I cant stop cutting my arms are so cut up so many cuts now I cant stop.
  10. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

I went to crisis unit stayed over night just for eval. They actaullly told me they don't reccomned cutting but if it is therapeutic for me to do it?? ok whatever. I have not cut in 2 days now lets see if i can go longer. I am not suicidal now like i was for now i hope it stays that way. anyway doing a little better for now anyway better than nothing right?
  11. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

that some new age thinking?!?
  12. Dawn72

Dawn72 Member

I know I don't know what their way of thinking is. stupid.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.