Hi I'm new

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by TroubledTeen, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TroubledTeen

TroubledTeen New Member

Hello,

As you can probably tell I'm TroubledTeen, and I'm brand new to this site. This is the first forum of this kind I've been too. I'm 15 and have been suffering from depression for about three or four years now. I started getting suicidal thoughts about two years ago and they seem to progress almost everyday. Only one person truly knows about my problem, but pretty soon after I found the courage to tell him he moved a couple states over. We still talk, but it's not the same you know? My other best friend has basically abandoned me, and whenever I bring up even the possibility of depression for me she says it will pass and I'll be fine. The only problem is I don't know if I will be fine. At this point I feel like I definitely won't be. Like it's inevitable and the only question is when. For the past year of so it's been my older brother causing the problems and even encouraging it. Recently it doesn't take much to put me in a dark mood that lasts for a very long time. I have insomnia but I don't know if that's a cause or effect of depression. Right now I need anything from someone who has experience with what I feel.

2. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

Hi TroubledTeen,

I am 39 and have been suffering depression about 27 yrs... so pretty much since the same age you started. I too have bouts of insomnia from time to time. Honestly, I can't tell you for 100% if your depression will ever go fully away or not.... mine hasn't, but others it does. Insomnia can be either way... cause or effect, though it definately will make your depression worse. You mention your brother being a cause of your depression and as encouraging/enticing it... can you elaborate a bit? Is there anythign else u know of going on to cause your depression?

3. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Can you see a psychiatrist? Maybe you need to be on some antidepressants. That may help a little, I think.

4. ronnymarie

ronnymarie Guest

Sleep depravation can certainly aggravate depression. Our physical bodies need good food and enough sleep to keep our minds working well.

Your depression may go away as you get older. Many people in their teens go through a period of depression, and between school, problems with friends and family, not to mention those pesky hormonal changes, it is not surprising.

But if it is bad enough for you to think about suicide, then it’s worth getting help. You didn’t mention your parents, but do they know how you feel? If you absolutely feel you can’t tell them, can you talk to a school counselor or school nurse? Some sort of therapy might help if the depression lasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.