Hi, i'm new.

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by j86, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to even introduce myself here. My name is Jordan, i'm a 21 y/o student who suffers from amnesia and depression (which resorts to suicidal and self-destructive behavior).

It's been over 3 years since my last attempt (and about a month since my last SI) but I've come here just for support because a lot has built up over the years.

It's just hard sometimes. I can pretty much cope easily but since I've gave up SI, i've tried other things (and trying so hard to not start smoking again. I've been clean for almost 2 years now.)

Due to a lot of personal problems, i'm even considering dropping out of college and moving out from my parents home just to be by myself.
    This would be my second time dropping out. I'm just indecisive on a major.

My parents aren't a problem but i've realized being stuck here in this area has pretty much been a critical part of everything-eating-away-inside-of-me.

Not to mention, being unemployed (at the moment) is hard, especially to make appointments and meetings which are about 15 min away from where I live, so gas is a killer here.

On a lighter note, I am an active musician and an avid video-gamer. (Not so much the next-gen consoles. Sticking to my PS2 and Dreamcast)

I help out a lot for NAMI, if any of you have heard of it. I'm in training in the P2P program. One of my NAMI friends is helping me start a support group in my area for gays and lesbians.

So, please don't think weird of me. I love people. I want to help those but yet I want people to help me. It's odd to think.. I want to help others but I need help aswell.

So, I hope I can become accepted here. I think I pretty much covered a lot for an intro. I'm not hard to talk to. I'm an awesomely easy-going guy.

Thank you,
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

:welcome: to SF Jordan. I am glad you chose to join us here. Please take care and stay safe. :hug:
  3. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

4. danni

danni Chat Buddy

:welcome: jordan if there anything i can do please feel free to pm me and i do my best to help you out hun :hug:
  5. Blackness

Blackness Guest

yo Jordan. You're already accepted here :)
    good on you for sharing your story, hope you get help here and make firneds:D
  6. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

:welcome: Jordan. Hope you can get some help and support here :)
  7. xashleyTX

xashleyTX Guest

8. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

Thanks for welcoming me.
    Sorry if my intro seemed kind of scattered and long.
    I'm never good with intros.
  9. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Welcome to the forum, Dear. I hope you like it here and find all the support and friendship you need. If you'd ever like to talk about anything or want a friend, feel completely free to PM me or add me to MSN anytime. I'm always willing to make new friends or even just talk or listen. Take care of yourself, and once again, welcome to the forum. :hug:
  10. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Welcome sir
  11. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

hi hun welcome to SF look forward to seeing u arund the site tc:smile:
  12. incognito

incognito Well-Known Member

Hey jordan, what type of amnesia do you have?
  13. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

:welcome: :biggrin:
  14. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

I have anterograde amnesia and I made a thread about my situation in the General Disorders Forum if anyone wants to check it out.
  15. incognito

did you see the film Memento? if so, how accurately did they depict anterograde amnesia?
  16. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

Actually, that's one of my favorite films. The protagonist in the film had anterograde amnesia because of the incident involving his wife's attack.

How the movie portrayed his amnesia is pretty accurate. Of course, since it is a movie, they kind of made it a lot more dramatic (not due to the plot) and sometimes a bit over-the-top but overall, I think it was a good portrayal.

The emotion he the character deals with due to his amnesia is kind of touch to watch but it goes to show you that dealing with it is very frustrating and upsetting.

The idea of him keeping notes and pictures is also pretty accurate (it also helps the movie watchers attention and builds up for the plot). I mean keeping notes is a good and logical idea. I don't do that but that is mainly because I keep my appointment scheduled on my cell phone and have my sister and mom remind me. However, my doctor has said a lot do keep notes and heavy detailed journals.

I do forget a lot, especially the days i'm supposed to pick my sister up from school so I do ask her in advanced or remember looking at my schedule.

It's kind of hard for me to say anything wrong (because it's one of my favorite films). I wish I could talk to others who have/had amnesia because i'd like to see how they think with it too.
  17. incognito

So...did you see the film before you got amnesia, and that's why you remember it or...am i not understanding?
  18. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

Yes, I seen the film for the first time about a year or two ago. It quickly became a favorite because I like a film with a good plot. :laugh: Very original.

And yeah, the reason I remember is because I did see it before I hurt my head. However, that's not to say i'll forget the movie in time (because my doctor has saw symptoms of retrograde, but I need to ask him more about that this week).

So, all things right now that I find important in my life, I have to continue to dwell on just in case.

But they are small symptoms so I really shouldn't have to worry.

As for the anterograde, it is permanent and not a temporary result so I will always have to continue writing notes and using my noggin as hard as I can.
  19. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Hey Jordan, i hope you can find some support here :hug:
  20. incognito

Yeah, Memento is one of my favorite films too. Has there been any improvement in your retrograde amnesia? Hope all is well. :flowers:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.