Hiding being online option gone...?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JMG, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMG

JMG Well-Known Member

Hey I was just wondering if there is still an option anywhere to select whether you want people to be able to see when you are "online" or not because I remember before I had it set so I would not show as being online. It would not show the green dot by my name when I'm online it would say invisible or something, and also it wouldn't list my name at the bottom where it shows ev1 who is online. I liked it that way, is it still an option to do that? If it's not plz can a mod tell me why that was removed? I liked being invisible. Ty :)

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes, this option is no longer as we took away the invisible function because people were abusing it to worry people. Such as making suicide threats then logging in invisible etc.

3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Hi JMG - the invisible function was turned off because some members were abusing it to worry other members. Obviously the nature of SF is that people worry about the friends that they have made here if they do not appear to have logged in for some time and we decided that this added needless upset for members and that there was no real benefit to invisible mode. The invisible function will not be turned back on.

Thanks,
    Freya

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It is kinda silly now because members still can circumvent this feature by not logging in and viewing most of threads now unlike in the past when it was more private.

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

They cannot view pms, visitor walls, chat, view member profiles or use search options. It has nothing to do with people reading threads or not reading threads. There were several instances cyber stalking other member posts and visitors walls while invisible, and more importantly if set to invisible does not show a last online date. For some reason a small number of members would post threads or send pms, making statements to the effect they were "going to do something" then set selves to invisible and not answer posts or pm's for periods of time leaving other members worrying. While admin could see these members were online as often as ever, and reading their pms and visitor wall posts people were sending to them, they were simply choosing not to interact giving the appearance of intentionally increasing worry among members.

6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Thanks for making it more clear NYJM.

Didnt realize it was more to it than what it appears. I do not use PMs often, nor go in chat often enough though. Do they get infraction for pulling this type of stunts? Ive been in chat few times when people imply they need immediate doctor attention and continue to chat, that drives me crazy sometimes. It shouldnt but it does.

7. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

ahh that explains it. I was wondering about that last night actually.

lol, I forget how selfish some people can be. That's ridiculous. Toying with people and making them wonder if you have died or are in hospital, and then watching the results of that worry. I get they want to see "raw" feelings and responses towards them, but holy shit. Suck a nut, Feel better, but suck a giant nut. Some of us don't like popping up on that list all the time. Oh well.. another nice thing we lose because people are reckless with things.

I think I need to start being nicer...

8. NYJmpMaster

It is hard sometimes not to get a little jaded or cynical, and it does seem like far too often in the world things change based on the actions of a very few even though the change effects many. I wish I knew a way to avoid that , but I have not figured it out. Situations like these are handled on a case by case basis until eventually it becomes easier/more sensible to just remove the situation. Things that get done are not always done with malicious intent. Even sadder is a world exists for many that causes the need to get attention or see if they really matter in this manner (and yes, on occasion there are just trolls that are dealt with in a less sympathetic manner and simply ban).

9. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear you. I was just being a bit selfish I think in my post. I agree, the reality is, when someone is in a state where they feel that that sort of option is ok, or something they need.. they are in a pretty dark place. So... I guess if someone is reading this and they can relate to that, I apologize for my brashness. Though it's definitely not worth it to do.

Yeah Idk, sometimes you have to reign it in a little with options if they are being mis-used too frequently. Especially here :(

:) It's all good :D

10. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Is the invisible mode function available on the new format? I tried I but I still see the green indicator on my avatar. Im not sure if thats only visible to me.

11. Petal

Hi pb, I'm sure that it isn't. I've looked through the options and invisible is not one of them. That little green thing I can see too but I don't know if that's because i'm a moderator so in a different user group.

12. shania

shania Well-Known Member

Yes, the invisible mode function is currently available. The green indicator on your avatar is only seen by you.

3 people like this.
  13. Petal

Oh I see it now, there's an option in ''preferences'' to hide your online status. Don't know how I missed that.

14. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

well, three people already explained in the thread , invisible is not available anymore

15. shania

shania Well-Known Member

It wasn't available before - but then it switched over to the new forum and currently is. Try it for yourself and you'll see that when you look at the main page, your name will appear in light blue instead of dark blue like everyone else's. :)

16. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

hmm.. lets test .. are you able to see me online and my last activity

17. shania

shania Well-Known Member

No, I can't see that you're online and if you check my profile you won't be able to see that I am either. :)

18. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

yay ! xD .. they will remove it soon

19. NYJmpMaster

With the way this chat program and ability for members to PM each other directly we would like to be able to leave the option to make yourself invisible so you can browse the forums without being interrupted if you are not in the mood, and without having it clear you are here and just don't feel like (or perhaps are not in a place) having a chat conversation.

As many people do like the option, I really hope we are able to leave it as an option for members to use at their discretion.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.