Hiding My Thumb...??

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ~Nobody~, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

On Saturday I was at work and I was feeling very suicidal and the urge to cut or burn was driving me crazy. I started sticking this pin in my thumb just to get the pain so that I could act sane around my colleagues. I kept doing it, and I didn't think it would look that obvious, but I have these marks and scratches all over my thumb now. I was hoping they'd fade a lot before I came home today but if anything they're more obvious than before. How do I hide this from my mum? I can't dress it inconspicuously, I can't wear clothes over it, and the worst thing is I don't think I can explain it away easily either. It maybe looks like I've grazed it, but how would I graze the whole side of my thumb accidentally and not anywhere else on my hand?

Any ideas ASAP would be much appreciated. I just can't handle another confrontation with my mum on top of everyone else.
  2. ~Nobody~

Arg. I feel so fucking STUPID!!!

Why the fuck can't I just hurt myself where it can't be seen?

More to the point why the fuck can't I just not hurt myself?!!!
  3. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

All I can suggest is to make sure you hold that side of your hand away from your mom whenever you're around her, or hold that hand with your other, or something. I would probably take some yarn and wrap it around my thumb and then tell my mom that I was going thumb-ninja and it needs a special ninja-wrap otherwise it couldn't be ninja.

But that's just me. Good luck
  4. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

you could wear a long sleeved top, and jst kinda, hold it down a lil, you know like when you're cold?

sorry if thats just stupid..

hope you are doing ok :hug:
  5. Zueri

Zueri Well-Known Member

hmm...done similar things before...
    try wrapping medical tape around your hand and over your fingers...you can say you accidentally cut yourself...
    just an idea..might be stupid...it usually works though...
  6. zusanna

zusanna Active Member

i would probably just wear a sweater/hoodie with a big pocket in the front. and keep my hands in there :) i know how it is to not want people to see self harming. i've had to wear long sleeve shirts for the past month. tonight i was in class and SO warm but i couldn't take my sweater off. grrrr i just don't want people to ask questions.
  7. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Active Member

mittens? dunno..i got bored once and kinda cut up my hand..wore mittens and told everyone who asked that my hands were cold..:unsure:
  8. ~Nobody~

Hey, thanks for all the replies and ideas :smile:.

I've managed to keep it hidden so far, and I'm not going to be here for the next couple of nights so hopefully it'll fade a lot by the time I get back.

P.S. The thumb ninja idea rocks! I do believe we may be kindred spirits :biggrin:.
  9. Lucie

Lucie Well-Known Member

Put a plaster on it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.