hiding self harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by justmeonlyme, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

ok so stuped me did something very stuped.
    ok well its summer holidays over here and i finshed school for exams back in november and thinking i wouldnt have to do pe and wear a t-shurt (without long sleaves) again started self harming on my arms its really bad it covers most of my for arm. well i have just realised there is a large posibility that i will have to do sport once a week at school im freacking out i dont think you are aloud to wear long sleaves under your pe gear at my school and there are too many to cover with band aids and im not very good with make up and there are fresh cuts so that want walk im freacking out idk what to do... any ideas?
  2. jnine

jnine Well-Known Member

once when i had fresh injuries i used an elastic wrap, and claimed i had sprained my elbow. It mostly worked, but only for a few weeks. I did get some long looks over how long it was taking to heal the sprain but by the time i had to give up the lie it was close enought to winter here that i could manage

Do you have a therapist?
    Does someone know you're doing this?
    Lying about it, keeping it secret isn't often a good idea; though i do very well understand not wanting people to see/know
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  3. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

well there is only so long that will last yes i am getting help and yes people no. but i dont want the hole school to no and if people find out it will spread fast i go to a small school.
  4. jnine

jnine Well-Known Member

i've been thinking about you, justmeonlyme/Emma, and remembering

hiding self harm is reasonable and nessessary but maybe hiding it from everyone is not the best or most usefull way to go. Looking back, i think it might have been better to talk with someone and get some help with keeping things private. i think now that if i had spoken with the school guidance counsellor he might have been able to get the PE teacher to let me wear long sleeves, or if i had spoken directly with the teacher she might have let me, and i do think they'd have understood and respected my need for confidentiallity. I never told anyone because i wasn't in treatment and didn't want to be hospitalized again, but you are seeing a professional, and current recognition of cutting does change how people react. If nothing else perhaps your therapist could talk to someone at your school.
  5. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

I would wrap or bandage my arm up, and draw little things on it and start a fashion trend just to hide the scars or marks.
  6. sd-239192

sd-239192 Well-Known Member

i had the same issue, (before i did a serious scar removal posses for my arms) i had boxing wraps and just wrapped them far down my arm to cover everything. although i actually did have damage on my hand from another injury so i had a built in excuse to ware them. (playing irritated the preexisting damage, so i needed padding to reduce the pain)
  7. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

say that you have a weak wrist/arm/elbow joint/whatever body part it is. say that it's because you broke it as a kid or something like that and that whenever you're doing physical activity, you now have to wear it, otherwise you screw up your arm. and wear a tubigrip bandage -- you know -- those skin-coloured elastic tube things. it worked for me.

alternatively, arrange to get out of it all together?? though this would only work if there's someone at school -- a teacher, preferrably -- who knows about your self harm. whenever our school has swimming days i arrange to get out of it by helping out in the primary school with the little kids. that way, whenever someone asks, i'm doing work experience because i (legitimately) have no other time to do it -- you're supposed to do work experience in the hols after all, but schools dont open in holidays AND you can't skip classes to do work experience either. that way, i'm happy doing something i like, i'm not breaking protocol by showing scars, and the school's happy because i'm still doing something constructive. and when that fails, i arrange to do things like time-keeping, and scoring so i dont have to swim.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  8. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

This, or also try telling the school you NEED to wear long sleeves due to poor circulation issues (ie: your extremities alway feel cold). I have never cut/sh but I understand the need to cover scars/evidence of activities, in my case track marks from inecting heroin, cocaine and other drugs, as well as to cover scars from knife fights
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.