hit myself

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Claws, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claws

Claws Active Member

Hiya, not sure where to put this but I put it here in case it made anyone feel sad elsewhere. I'm sure it'll be moved if not in right place, sorry if isn't

I have been punching my head recently when I have been feeling really down/frustrated. Not too hard but hard enough. This is the only kid of hurting myself I have done.

Is this really bad? nothing serious?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think it's bad enough if you are causing pain to yourself. I used to do this too, and then it moved on to more serious things. I just find ways to keep myself busy and occupied, so I don't end up doing that anymore. Is there anything that can distract you from these feelings?

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Claws. :arms: I'm sorry you've been so frustrated you felt the need to hit yourself. Although punching your head (or other self-harm) might very briefly relieve stress/frustration, it doesn't resolve the real issue, so it doesn't change things. Not to mention that self-harm can leave bumps, bruises, and scars, and punching one's head could jar the old gray matter a bit. (Ouch!)

I do understand that in the heat of the moment, feelings can ride high, but they don't have to "run the show." What other coping mechanisms have you tried when you feel upset? Which ones have worked for you?

4. Claws

Claws Active Member

There's not much really as a I don't have a busy life at the moment. I like music/videos though but sometimes even they don't help

Makes me feel a bit silly after I've done it to be honest. I haven't done anything else that would hurt me but music and the internet help I guess, sounds sad probably

5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Heya, Claws. I think it's good not sad that you have things you can turn to that help you feel better. Lots of people turn to music, reading, exercise, hobbies to direct their thoughts to constructive and positive things. (I enjoy the internet, myself...I start searching for one thing and end up reading about all kinds of OTHER things, too! A good distraction to get lost in. :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.