Hitler Was An Idiot

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Godsdrummer, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

During this time of year, Memorial Day thru D-Day there tends to be a lot of programs on TV regarding WW2.

I have always been a history fan, and every year I find myself watching these different programs. Heck I even own the DVD set of Band Of Brothers.

I am convinced without a shadow of a doubt that Hitler was an idiot.

And what I mean about that has to do with the holocaust, logistically speaking.

The main problems Germany faced towards the end of the war, were running out of man power and equipment.

Think of the logistics of killing 11 million people; First you need people to do the killing. You need materials, bullets, gas, trains, rifles, pistols, materials to build the camps.

He could have used his men tasked with the slaughter, instead for the war effort. Of all the people he killed, prolly at least 1-2 million of them were able bodied German citizens who just happened to be Jewish or Gypies or whatever. Up until the point they became criminals in the eyes of the Nazi's they were just as loyal a German citizen as the next guy.

And many others that were forced into slave labor for the camps or jewish German women who were put to death could have been used to build bombs and tanks and planes much as the women of America did when the guys were off to war.

It is sad to think of the terrible loss inflicted on Humanity by the actions of the Holocaust.

I started this thread as a way to remember just how stupid this man was.
  2. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

Yeah... He was a bit twisted and bitter. He also attacked Russia, one of the stupidest things to do during the war. War on two fronts, what a moron. Hitler was losing it up there.
  3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that pretty much his entire upper circle, himself included, were nothing more than dregs of society with no outstanding military skill, if any (minus Goring) and a hell of a lot personal and psychological problems. Ironically, they often eliminated or dismissed those that were actually capable administrators, precisely because of that threat.
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

And yet they managed to turn Germany from an economic backwater into a political and industrial powerhouse in less than 6 years.
  5. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

And for only 6 years. So much for the 1000 year reich.
  6. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I find it incredible how such a 'non-person' like Hitler could rise to such a position and command such control over a nation. Growing up in the DDR, we as school children were taught a very biased view of the war due to our political allegiances with the Soviet Union. The main criticism we were taught of Hitler other than his fascist views was that he was very much uncontrollable and was egotistical. Whenever there is talk of the atrocities that took place, it always centres on the despicable holocaust; however it is not always known about how Hitler treated ordinary Germans who suffered from mental and physical disabilities, which were equally horrific.
  7. Issaccs

The holocaust is biased in every country.
    I mean, most people say "six million jews" but twice as many slavs were killed.
  8. Zurkhardo

Part of the reason Hitler and his cronies were able to turn Germany around was because they were able to exploit the desperation of the populace to get the country into gear. If you analyze their rhetoric and speeches, they were empty and vapid rants at best, hardly as charismatic or moving as people today believe. They relied on an army of often awed technocrats to help run things, and were appealing only because they were as angry and ravanchist as the devestated populace was.

As for how he and these men managed to rise to such heights, that was symptomatic of the weakened political system of Weimar Germany, which it made it easy for anyone to run and hold political power.
  9. Zurkhardo

Very true. It didn't help that the Cold War made the west even more biased against recognizing the massive Russian losses. Other Slavs like Poles and Ukrainians just lack the culture and historical affinity to be given as much scrutiny.
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, not very bright... But possibly the most important person of the 20th century.
  11. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

How about the collective idiocy of the German electorate? Let's not forget that this man rose to power through an election. Isn't democracy wonderful?
    The important thing about this fact is that we need to learn from it. It is all to easy to elect someone because they make us feel better, not because they are able.
  12. pit

pit Well-Known Member

What I want to know is how to prevent more holocausts from happening. Holocausts have happened since the beginning of time, from the bible to the Crusades, to what the white man did to the Indians, the mass murder of the Armenians, the rape of Nanking, and so on. What sparks these genocides where people lose their heads and make other people lose their heads? (Pardon the pun.)
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Haha, pit, you're... you're so optimistic. It's nature. Not human nature. Nature, period. And as much as we try to repress human nature with laws, it'll seep back out - indeed, Germany was repressed with laws but then did it anyhow. You want to transcend our nature... That's what a good world entails.

The common chimpanzee performs genocide. Ants, bees, wasps do it. Few other animals are intelligent or organized enough to, though - but they all would if they could. But it's not a human institution.
  14. Zurkhardo

Very true. I remember seeing a chart of votes for political parties during the 20s and 30s, and there was a clear and significant shift toward Hitler's party as time went by.

Unfortunately it's hard to argue against their logic given the times. Hyperinflation, humiliation, rising crime and poverty, and above all fear and insecurity. Hitler's party of angry misfits reflected a sense of understanding to the common person, while also promising to restore the pride, security, and stability they'd lost.

The ultimate tragedy, as you noted, is that just about any country's populace when on hard times is likely to vote for parties like Hitlers. Fear makes people desperate and desperation helps facilitate the rise of monsters.
  15. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Hitler wasn't a military type.

Though he was a master of propaganda and politics.

He designed most propaganda himself, and even created a voice to use for speeches.

A shame, he could've been someone great.
  16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Usually? Hatred and emotional vulnerability. When someone with a diabolical plot manages to convince vast numbers of people to start thinking with their emotions.

Hitler was a great communicator. People were putty in his hands. It only takes a few sick people who just happen to be smart enough (and/or determined enough) to be able to get organized and start a political movement. Most ordinary citizens are too busy to pay attention to what's really happening with their government. These days, most ordinary citizens are too detached from their governments and have no control over what happens and no way to really observe it.
  17. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I actually don't believe that is true. I think that he took over control because he was the second most powerful man in Germany when the president at the time died. There was no election to put him in power... I think. Although if there was he easily could have won it.

Hitler's main goal was to take over the world so he could eliminate all of the Jews and other groups of people that he didn't like. He wasn't an idiot because if he would have done what you suggested he wouldn't have met his goal.

Hitler was not a military genius by any means. He ran from the German democratic German government before he became dictator. He forced his troops to stay and fight at the battle of Stalingrad which was a terrible and later a fatal decision. Calling him an idiot is a bit harsh even though he was a terrible person. I think Hitler was genius. He fits under all of the categories of a great leader of a country. He brought Germany out of their Great Depression (which was much worse than Americas) in the late 1920s through the early 1940s.

Hitler came extremely close to winning WWII if you think about it. All he had to do was take Britain and he has control of Europe. Without Britain there is no D-Day and no opportunity for island hopping like in the Pacific. Once he has Britain he then has a one front war with the Soviets which he could win given enough time. Then he can focus on bombing America and taking control of it also. The fact that Hitler came as close as he did to taking control of the world makes him no idiot.

I was disagree in saying that he was the most influential person in the 20th century. What he did is over with. He took the lives of 11 million people. The invention of the nuclear bomb could possibly end the world. Albert Einstein has my vote.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  18. Issaccs

Common thread, a charismatic leader and a people submitting to authority figures.
    We like to follow orders, sometime they are to kill.
  19. pit

pit Well-Known Member

So you're saying there are Hitler ants, wasps and monkeys out there? Frightening.
  20. pit

pit Well-Known Member

J. Robert Oppenheimer was the director of the Manhattan Project and developed the nuclear bomb. He's known as the father of the nuclear bomb. So if your city is nuked, you have him to blame.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.