Hitting yourself.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Kris.T, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris.T

Kris.T Well-Known Member

Okay. So Sunday night, I had a girl I'm interested over, and we were all having drinks and having a good time, and then I had one of my sudden mood swings, where I went from happily drinking, singing songs and enjoying the night to bawling my eyes out and wanting to kill myself.

I got a friend to drop us all back home at my house, her and a couple of others went into the living room, I went to my bedroom where I layed on my bed and repetedly punched myself in the face, as hard as I could. I then went around headbutting doors, walls, metal bed poles, tv's, desks.. anything to damage my head. This is the first time I've ever used full force with my fists like that.. and it scares me that I'll do it again.

Has anybody else ever done something like this? How do you refrain from that urge to just smash your fists, or other objects against your head and face? :(
  2. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

i think you should go visit a doctor, it sounds like you are 'punishing' yourself for something ? i have heard of this before but i dont know where i comes from or what causes this behaviour, most likely it is another form of selfharm like cutting ? next time you might have a serious injury if you cant controll it. you are definitly not the only one doing this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  3. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

*raises hand*
    I do sometimes. It's not to good to do though, you probably already knew that.
  4. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

I used to do that. Strangly enough, the thing that got me to stop was getting glasses; I didn't mind damaging my face, but I didn't want to wreck my glasses. Lol. I guess the thought of having bruises all over my face wasn't as bad as the thought of not being able to see well.

But, when I stopped, I started punching things like brick walls or other hard stuff. Instead of damaging my face I damaged my hands.

Then, about a year ago, after some pretty significant personal life changes, I switched again and instead of punching, I moved to cutting. As of now, my left arm is covered in scars where I cut myself.
  5. Kris.T

Kris.T Well-Known Member

I think because I went all suicidal emo, and infront of a girl I was keen on, I got down on myself and punished myself that way, by locking myself and hitting myself.

I went the reverse order to you TaraJo.

I went cutting, to hitting walls, to hitting walls AND cutting, to now punching myself in the head and cutting. =[
  6. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

being a muso i need to be really careful about damaging my hands, but yeah, i do hit myself sometimes, when i cant cut and desperately need to do something. sometimes i can stop myself though just by tiring myself out physically -- like going for a really long run... then sometimes im too tired to think about hurting myself, if that makes sense.
  7. BeautifulDisaster.

BeautifulDisaster. Banned Member

Yes, I have had outbursts where I suddenley punch myself/hit myself/pull out my hair, it usually happens when I'm angry, upset, triggered, distressed, or have held in a lot of powerful emotions for a while.

I try to keep myself distracted if I feel myself tempted to do something like that.
    Things like watching a movie, a show, these do help me, and so does typing. I love to type. I love to Journal. Perhaps this is something you could do too?
    I talk to close friends too. They try to support me and get me to calm down enough so the urges are less.
  8. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

I've done this before... It's really not good though.. If you need anyone to talk to.. I'm here. If you want, you can PM me.

9. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

I don't do it like you or most people do... for me it's kind of involuntary and it's just a few hits, it doesn't last for more than a few seconds... If I think of a bad memory, of an embarrassing situation I was in or some negative thought enters me head, I'll slap myself or hit my head.. But not hard or anything. And only sometimes
  10. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I do this a lot when I'm drunk, for some reason. I hit my head over and over and over with my hands and it's great 'cause it doesn't even hurt. I rarely ever do it these days though, it mostly happens when I'm feeling really down or remember something I did or said that was really stupid or embarassing. Maybe you can try and vent out your anger another way? Try putting on a shooting game and shooting the crap out of zombies or something? ^^
  11. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

lol , the only time i hit myself is when i mess up playing video games.
  12. aviewfromchaos

aviewfromchaos Well-Known Member

i mainly punch things. which isn't good because i have abnormally strong hands and end up denting my truck when i get angry.
  13. LSD

LSD Well-Known Member

my little sis used this method
    hitting herself
    and it sucks cuz she was still little
    sometime she still does it
    she is 13 right now
  14. Kris.T

Kris.T Well-Known Member

How do you explain marks on your face from this? I have a lump on the side of my forehead. :(
  15. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

You could just say I fell and hit my head.
    But you shouldn't need to look for an exuse :sad:

16. MarisaSmile

MarisaSmile New Member

I sometimes punch myself in the arm as hard, until everything tingles inside. I don't know how to really restrain myself from it, I just try to stay calm and breathe and distract myself.
  17. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Aw... I've banged my head against a brick wall until I started to bleed before... and thrown myself down the stairs and punched myself in the gut a few times.
    :friendless: jeez-- and I *wonder* why I've got mental problems?!

I faint whenever I bleed a bit, ever since I've become severely anemic, though... so... there goes *that* plan!
    aww... that's nothing to laugh about. -___-
    Don't hurt yourself- it's bad! But... it's better than hurting someone else, I suppose.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.