Hmm...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ignored, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I've gone from being effectively being teetotal to drinking a bottle of vodka a week (plus beers) which my dr (and support worker) says is way too much! My father was an alcoholic. My brother IS an alcoholic but it's never been my problem. Yet now I feel I need it every day. Not a physical need but an emotional one. I don't feel it's a problem but not sure whether it's going to become one. It's the unconsciousness that drink provides that I'm after! Don't know?? What do you think???

2. What do I think? By the time you acknowledge it's a problem, by then it's been a slippery slide down a mountain of razor blades - into a puddle of tar, which is then set on fire.

If you 'think' it's a problem (and there is a family history), then it likely is - and it does not get better till it's addressed. Emotional reliance, as bad as that than become, is but the beginning. It's the de'il of it...

:hug:

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Can relate to this completely.
    Have proved I am not physically addicted to alcohol, have gone weeks without a drink and no ill effects or even particular cravings..but in my head I miss it :blink:
    Like you Artifice I went from being nigh on teetotal to drinking heavily and am now not drinking at all.
    Be careful, I think I've been saved from a very real problem by getting too ill to even think about boozing..but my head is still very much a drinker. :hug:

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I agree that the biggest indication of it being a problem is that you think it may be a problem. Don't let it get any worse. Take action now, before any physical dependance develops.

ANd of course, for me being depressed, drinking only made it much worse and negated any positive effects of taking antidepressants. I've been sober now for 34 days and am starting to feel more human every day.

:hug:

5. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Thanks guys. I think I need it to get through the next few days but after that I'll knock it on the head totally, at least for a while. I would hate to end up the way my brother is, where it's his main preoccupation. :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.