hmm...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Locket, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

:sad: bad day... so tempted right now
    need a distraction... i'm texting my friend holly about tattoos and stuff to try and keep my mind off it, and i'm wearing long sleeves, and i've put my blades out of reach, but i still can't seem to stop thinking about it :sad:
    anyone got any distractions that work for them?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello Laura, Go out for a walk hun (don't bring any blades), or listen to some relaxing music, read, watch a movie. Please don't cut sweetie :hug:

3. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

thanks hun
    it's just so damn hard! why does it have to be this hard! it's not like it's a physical addiction - i just know i can, just know it can make things better for a while... i hate this!
    i'll put on some music... it's too cold/dark out to go for a walk right now

4. Milton

Milton Well-Known Member

It can be a psychological addiction, though. Try to stay strong.

5. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

true... but i would have thought a physical addiction harder to break from than a psychological one... i thought psychological ones were brought about more by routine... and i don't have a regular pattern of certain days or anything.... i don't know

6. Milton

Milton Well-Known Member

You said yourself that you know it will make things better, at least for a while. Feel bad -> cut -> feel better is a sort of routine, although it maybe doesn't happen regularly because you don't necessarily feel bad according to a pattern. I'm just thinking out loud here really; perhaps, long term, if you could find one activity that replaces cutting in the cycle and always do that it would eventually lead to no more cutting (I don't know, it hasn't worked for me so far but I've not been doing it long). Walking is best for me (plus the exercise is a nice bonus) but it could be anything distracting - TV, reading, blogging, knitting, whatever.

7. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

oh right... i see - that makes sense.
    i suppose it's all down to individual differences.. i've tried loads of techniques to try and stop, but i suppose i should start by actually wanting to stop.. coz i know that i rely on it too much.. :sad:

thanks though
    and you stay safe too xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.