Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by 1izombie, Jun 21, 2010.

1. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

sf cant really take criticism thats in the open...for fear of what??? LTM are private but if someone wants to have a discusion in the open they r shut down?? why?? SF is to clsoed off and that makes it frustrating....but meh i know nothing will change ...
  2. boo

boo Well-Known Member

They want to corner you where you can't defend youself.
  3. 1izombie

a little transparency would go a long way i think...but i have no power
  4. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

I can say I support SF on this issue. People here are unstable. It is best to not allow others to push them too far to the edge. There are A LOT of legal implications here.

You are always free to open your own forum if you do not like this. Tons of open source forums out there.
  5. 1izombie

i think i havent expressed my self clearly i guess... I dont mean to say i want a free for all where anybody can have his say without repercussions all Im saying is there seems to be arbitrary to how some things r allowed to be expressed and others r not... It doesnt breed, in my opinion, trust in those the run the site as it can cloud the process of how things r done, I'm not saying that there r not reasons for doing things i just wish some things were explained better and more transparently.

Telling me that i can go and make my own forum is like telling me to go fuck off if u dont like the way things r here. That sort of proves what im saying, that any criticism is unwelcome whether valid or not. I dont quite understand what u mean by this "It is best to not allow others to push them too far to the edge." but I assuming it to mean that theres got to be boundaries, which I can agree with whole heartedly...idk if im expressing myself clearly or not mind gets muddled...anyways thats my 2 cents
  6. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

In every grouping of people, whether it be a forum, or something else. There will always be rules. There will always be outcasts. It is just how our minds work. Personally I think we need to draw lines on what is good and bad.

Again I think the main reason we have such strcit rules is because of the various legal implications. Our friendly forum owners can be sued and even put in prision if someone can prove a lose connection to a suicide and a posting on this forum.
  7. 1izombie

Im not talking about suicides and post on here and I already said I agree that we need boundaries especially on this site. as well i have personal experience with posts on here and suicides but i dont think thats what im talking about... I think rules r in place here for a good reason...all im doing is voicing my concern over the arbitrary (in my opinion) and inconsistent way in which the rules seem to be will to concede im may be wrong on that point but a little more openness would help clear any questions i have. thats is all im saying...
  8. boo

boo Well-Known Member

The problem is not drawing the line between good and bad, I agree there should be rules. But when you don't even know when to apply your own rules, then that's when chaos ensues. You need to understand the full story here between making such clueless statement about this situation. But i do agree with you that rules are a must.
  9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I've experienced this several times of late. Part of the reason I dont post much anymore. I'm quite honestly scared because I dont know when or if I'm crossing any fine lines around here anymore. I dont hold much self worth or esteem in myself so when I get "reprimanded" for things that arent explained clearly or that others are allowed to do, I take the brunt of the guilt as it being completely my fault for the situation. Makes it awkward for everyone involved.
  10. 1izombie

thank you... i have a hard time expressing what i mean in writing and u couldnt have said it more clearly...this is what I'm talking about..its like there r rules in place but we dont get to know what they r until we violate them....
  11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I have a lot of respect for those who posted in this thread because of the way it was done. Nobody likes criticism, but constructive criticism isn't a bad thing and something we all need at one time or another.

What do you think we could do to make the situation better for everyone? Any input or suggestions on how things could be better handled? (I'm not making any promises, just looking for feedback).

Also, even though I did ask for feedback, I'm looking for constructive feedback. Not insults or flaming. Please don't reply to this post in anger; take a minute to really think about what you want to say so that this thread doesn't descend into a flame war.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  12. 1izombie

Solutions or ideas for possible solutions is a good idea to discuss, I think answers to some questions would be does it only take one complaint to close a thread or for example delete a emote...who makes that it one person or many people there one person that can over rule a decision once made or look at the decision to see if its fair, I would suspect its many people with many different standards hence the inconsistent application of the rules (or at least the perceived inconsistency)... this is just off the top of my head sure there r other ideas out there tho i would be interested to hear some...
  13. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Communication is a two way street. For it to be successful both sides must listen and refrain from judging.
  14. 1izombie

agree...and i may be wrong but it seems to be a oneway street for information when it comes to admins and decisions that r made on the forum...but i would like to stress overall SF is a safe and good forum...i dont mean to say I hate SF and we should overhaul everything....i mean maybe we dont need any changes ...idk i just find some things frustrating...
  15. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Interesting :)

Do you feel that perhaps an explanation into what groups of staff do what / how decisions are made in the Staff Room, etc, could help?
  16. 1izombie

lol id like too steal ur interesting sentiment :) My gut reaction would be yes, but i also know how that may be impractical or maybe bring up issues that r unforeseen, u know I guess the issue here for me is i just dont know how things r done and i guess if i had a better understanding of that I would realize what goes into decisions...tbh i know its not easy trying to balance this forum...its harder than i imagine i bet and Im glad we have this forum, just certain things make me frustrated, maybe its only me...idk..i just thought i'd voice my opinions a little bit here...
  17. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

It can be hard to balance all the differing views, thoughts, opinions of people - staff and members alike, on the forum, but all in all we seem to have done a respectable job of it in the past.

Feel free to voice your opinions - it's good that we get construcive feedback such as this!

I'll see what other staff think about the clearer explanations :)

As for any other ideas that you / other members have - keep 'em coming!

18. 1izombie

I would have to agree whole heartedly :D :stars:
  19. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

What interests me is that the in my pants game was closed due to someone posting something on the forum, now correct me if I am wrong but don't all complaints have to go through LTM. Therefore did the moderator in question act against the forums rules by

1. deleting an entire thread without getting any other moderators opinion.

2. delete an entire thread, based on someone posting on the forum instead of directing them down the correct channels.

Oh and before I get a negative reaction I was going to post my complaint about the removal of the game on the ltm section, but as previously stated Moderators now appear to act on complaints in the forum so response please....
  20. boo

boo Well-Known Member

The thing is... i never complained about the In my pants game at all... But instead only used it as an example.