Holidays and Family Problems

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by humdrum22, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humdrum22

humdrum22 Member

Hey Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone wants to share any stories about their problem families, especially seeing as it's christmas. My family has pretty much disowned me so this christmas is the first one where I'm gonna be alone -- I don't know what's worse, the being alone part or the part about getting together with a family that can't relate properly without getting totally wasted.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i would rather be alone hun then have to deal with all the drama i can come here and be at peace I hope you can come here too hun just to chat and not feel so lonely
    My family are all ill mentally no fault of their own it j ust makes Christmas sad thats all
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sorry to hear about all that :hug: My family pretty much acts uncivilized all year round...even in it's really embarrassing for me. They argue even on holidays and birthdays...sometimes I would rather just spend them alone. So yeah it sucks to have a dysfunctional family, but don't let that bring you down.
  4. humdrum22

humdrum22 Member

thank you everyone for sharing,

i guess, in my case, (and I know I'm not alone), I have this feeling during the holidays that things 'should be' a certain way... I 'should' be getting on with everyone, I 'should' accept people for who they are, I 'should' just suck it up and try to participate, as best I can... the thing is, I've been doing this for years now, and it has always been so unsatisfying... most of my family just don't 'get me', I'm into philosophy and pondering deep things, they're into their jobs and careers, tv, popular music, etc. When I've met them before, it always seemed like I was a valuable voice, like they wanted me there for my unique perspective, but now, with the way things have turned out, it actually seems like I was just a freak to them, and better that I don't show up so as to upset their lovely christmas dream. I dunno, maybe I'm being too self-centred... I just think of myself as being so 'extra', and therefore not very valuable, because optional... does any of this make sense?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.