Holidays even worse?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Confused and Lost, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confused and Lost

Confused and Lost Well-Known Member

Hey.
    As a few of you may know i am still at sixth form / college and i was wondering if it was just me that during half terms and breaks off from work and school etc if your depression gets worse.

I been off now for three days and already i see no fun in the next two joyous weeks ahead. I have little to do except coursework which may be one of the problems as i just tend to sit inside or stay in bed. As the snow here is making it too cold to go out.

I just seem to be very depressed right now and at sixth form it is managable as there is people around and things to do at home its just me and my cat i get rather bored very quickly.

Sorry for the reptition just needed to get it off my chest really. But yeah do you feel same?

SJ
    x

2. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

Yes... exactly the same. The term time is bad as it is but during holidays things just get darker. The world becomes so awful and pointless things have even less purpose than they usually do. But you know what helps? Allowing yourself to be lazy... you deserve the rest. The holidays arent just for work and courseworks. They are for your to rest. I have a report to hand in tomorrow and I still havent written it. But I allowed myself to be lazy today because I know that being depressed doesnt usually help me finish work. Not good advice I know...

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Many people here feel the same way...if you look around the forum you will see many threads about the holidays...it is awful...supposed to be 'happy' and be with family, and many of us are not either...please keep posting and maybe you can find someone to chat with to have something to do with your time...big hugs and please continue to tell us what is going on...J

4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I'm in my second year at university (although I'm a 'mature' student at 25 if that makes a difference) and I feel the same and always have. For me, I hate the lack of structure to my day, as I need routine to keep me grounded.

I actually love Christmas (hated it as a child, but have come full circle), but being off uni and having work to do during the breaks makes it very difficult to focus and organise myself. I find I drift around, not getting anything done, but never really relax either as I'm worrying about all my assignments.

So I totally know how you feel.
    Mim

5. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who "drifts around"... Whenever I try to do work while depressed I get only a pass! I feel like I have done nothing since the holidays started... I tried to do some work today and it turned out to be a disaster!!! I will fail for sure...

6. Confused and Lost

Confused and Lost Well-Known Member

Thank you all for replying. I too enjoy Christmas but it just seems so different this year. All I seem to do is drift around and have no structure to my day. I seem to sadly send more time playing silly facebook games and listen to music that i do anything else. I am constantly worrying about my assignments. As i will fail if i dont get them in on time and will be kicked off the course.

I seem to try and create a structure like try and get up at certain time and have set things planned. But then when i over sleep i feel crap and very depressed all day and disappointed that i cant even do something so simple in life correctly. I know i may just be over harsh on myself but its just how i feel sometimes.

Thanks
    SJ
    :)
    x

7. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I wish I knew what to suggest to help you with this. The only thing I can think of is to write motivating notes on post-its and cover your house with them, and especially on your computer, so you're constantly reminded of what you have to do and what's at stake.

I hope you can find your motivation, because you deserve to do well.

Mim

8. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I drift around a lot without structure too. I'm on disability now so I had to decide on a simple schedule to follow and that has proven to be a very good thing for me.

I agree that the holiday's are a good time to get some extra rest.

I don't worry if the time is happy or not. I've learned I don't have to participate in disappointments and manipulations of some family members or even friends. Even so, it's still a bummer to listen to them carry on like others are responsible for their happiness. I try to keep my distance from that kind of stuff.

I'm a simple person and I'm satisfied with the simple stuff.

9. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

i have been in bed pretty much since i got home. there are no friends here for me, and to make matters worse there are no friends at school for me. i feel so out of place and do the same thing no matter where i go; computer games, tv, and weed (but sober for 2 days, trying to quit completely).

every year i cry on my birthday because im 1 year older and nothings changed. maybe it's the fact i have no one to celebrate it with, or maybe it's the fact that for the last few years my only gifts have been cards with $50, only to be told 5 minutes later i owe the person who gave me that money $40 from previous expenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.