Holy Moly. Thanks Lord, just what I needed.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ToHelp, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Slipped about half an hour ago in the kitchen and really slapped my head into the sill (wood). The *whack* was so fucking loud I heard it myself.

No LOC, mild disorientation and wooziness, and walked into the bathroom to discover an alarming red contusion mark on my forehead. (Think fresh bruising.)

Very worrying of course, thoughts of concussion, looking out for signs i.e. vision disturbance; likely a grade 1 but if I had the insurance I'd go get checked out.

If anything warrants a CT scan this does--they'd do it as procedure & protocol w/o a second thought.

I worry because I'm not a doctor and that was one hell of a blow. If I detect nausea or... really, just any actual signs then I'm off to the ER, no worries.

Worst case scenario, I see delayed onset of brain injury in the next 48 hours. Stroke, seizure, vision disturbance. If I'm bleeding up there (a hematoma) then I'm fucked and will pay the price.

I think I'll be all right (typical man of course).

Sheesh. The stuff that just fucking happens to you out of nowhere you know??

I think, again, I'll be all right. I just feel like I've been clobbered up side the head, seriously. lol Simultaneously that makes for a light moment--because I have!

Love you,

p.s. - You can help by not adding to my worry with visions of gloom.

p.p.s. - Again people. DON'T give me shit to maul over. Please.
  2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Oh yes. I hate to whine but here again is the pinnacle type of instance in which, if I had people IRL who actually... Then I'd go. AND they'd take me. 'Alone' is really a sad state.
  3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hey. *waves*

i had teh soup, feel much better (actually, I just 'inhaled' the soup, i think the bump on the noggin, like took some energy or something).

Still got a headache but my Lord, I'd expect no less!

Think I'm fine really. *shrug* Have to watch that fucking balance I guess. All that phenobarb I take, ya know.... Really, I need to kick all that stuff.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hi everyone... Well again (it's coming on 3 hours) I'm just weighing in to say, Whew. Close one - I don't The Reaper is reaping his cigar today.

The window OTOH.... frame splintered and broken from the run-in with my head. Oh my.

(Ha! j/k)
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hope you are feeling better...and do not lay down to go to sleep...do seek medical care if needed...big hugs, J
  6. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Ouch, hope you will be ok
    Take care
  7. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Was probably the hardest I have ever had in my life--and I was hit (no helment) by a softball once. Was an arching toss.

Well, this beats that. It was really a whack. On the other hand, I have lost no "function" and that contusion mark is not even going to be a bump. Was apparently more a hard rub, so that *is* good news.

I really need to get off the rot, though (sedatives). This is a good enough wake-up call why. Sadeyes thanks. For all my medical knowledge, I missed "do not lie down and doze off" until I gauged the extent and seriousness. Thanks.
  8. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

LOL just found this. :headache:
  9. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

You should probably get yourself checked out at a doc as soon as possible. I had a concussion about three years ago that I sustained while driving (I was having a panic attack at the time and rammed my head into the door) and it's a miracle I didn't wreck. I barely made it home and fell asleep on the floor. I managed to get through three days of work with the worst nausea I've ever had in my life before I finally went to the doc, where I lied about the circumstances and said I slipped getting out of the shower.

Anyway, stay off your feet as much as possible, get a friend to have you checked out, and enjoy bad TV and junk food for the next week. That was the best part of my concussion, anyway. :wink:
  10. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Ouch. That sounded like it really hurt. The fact you are stillposting in a coherant manner seems promising. Keep an eye on how you're feeling though and if you do have problems get yourself checked. Best wishes.S.
  11. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Right there. Stop right there. If I'd detected systemic signs like nausea I'd be at the friggin' hospital right now. Would have scared me bad because that is a sign.

WOW I'm surprised you recovered, Hat. The body's a truly resilient organism, no?

It STUNNED me. I was dazed right there on my feet for 10, 15 minutes. I could not believe how loud it was yet I was still coherent enough to be that cognizant and concerned.

Oh yeah it hurt, bottom line. lol :headache:

Obviously I'm STILL here so another couple days (and taking it easy like Hat said) and I'm good.

12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Another weird thing that just has to make you think. (This is where thoughts of predestination, destiny, or "Uncenterainty Principle" come in.)

Remember, this was part of a sill, or perhaps you'd call it framing, so another five inches left or right would have dramatically altered the outcome, and we can't know how:

LEFT and I would have caught much softer plaster. Ahh but RIGHT and you're looking at a bloody Wednesday man. Glass, glass and more glass as I just had too much momentum. i would have gone right through a couple of panes.

Don't even like to think about that. The freaking "sill" (or framing) is only maybe four inches wide!!!

I'd rather have caught the plaster but then again NOT the glass, eh? (I close my eyes and i can see stitches and scarring all over.)

WOW. Just like a single fucked up gene could spell spina bifada and have me in a wheelchair for life.

How can there be a God but for inherited faith. Come on. Life is too fucking random and cruel methinks.

13. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

... So I just want this recorded. Yesterday about 10 a.m. I dodged a bullet. I slipped and cracked my head a good one in the kitchen.

Now, 7:30 p.m. the next day, I've no leftover signs or even pain.

I don't want to downplay this--it was plenty frightening enough for me to get on here and record the incident.

I live such an odd life. Today my.... TOOTHACHE came back in full force. LOL "If not one thing to deal with then another" kind of specter.

I don't take good care of myself. I'm in the U.S. and live so poor that I avoid the ER or dentist at great length, not wanting to run up a thousand (or in the case of the head-trauma, easily 5,000-10,000) dollars or more. It's a reckless life "with no one to live better for."

Although I might confess that it would behoove ME (ME and no one else!) greatly to change my ways before the cataclysmic random event happens.

It doesn't have to be for anyone else. The person who will suffer or benefit is John/ToHelp. I'm not a freakin' glutton for suffering..... so, come on now. Let's get real.

:yes: ToHelp
  14. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

That was a great post. :tongue:

Sharing my own self-enlightenment, here. :yes:

People live for themselves, family or no. Honest to God. They do.

Has the reader seen Reign Over Me? I'll not give anything away but Adam Sandler was self-destructing because he loved his family!!!

When he lost that in one fell swoop, it took away his reward for living.

BELIEVE it, we always in the end live for ourselves.

p.s. Oh. Got to get on the stick with this tooth because I just learned it can lead to sepsis. SEPSIS is blood-born infection. It's a whole other world, people. Fever, vomiting, hospitalization, death?

That the way I want to go out? NOOOO. Thank you i pass.
  15. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I'll take care of the tooth and THEN kill my fucking self once I'm well....

Ok that's certifiable I admit it. Sectionable the Brits might say, eh?

Assignment: Work on this thinking and come back later.

16. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

That sounded painful hun. I hope it is feeeling better now :) :hug:
  17. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

LOL :) :hug:

Aimee thanks yes it was incredible, the force. (Was the type of blow that even if you had a helmet on you'd have had a consussion.) I'm fine but have to be really careful, obviously.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.