Home alone :(

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by ali-wali, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ali-wali

ali-wali Well-Known Member

Mum's at bingo dads at Grandma's home, she's got dementia bless her. I haven't visited her in her home ever. At my grandads funeral she came, but she got told we were just having a party (she only came to the pub afterwards) She loves cakes, and all things sweet. She's so tall and thin, and wonders about alot, my mums always chasing behind her when ever they go out for the day. It's sad that grandma and grandad were together for so long and grandad helped her everyday of the 15 years of dementia, and when he died she didn't even realise he was gone, or has ever been there. I hope when I die, my husband will remember me. Grandad was on a ward in my hospital, He had cdiff along with other problems I went to go see him after work one time but couldn't bring myself to walk through the doors into his room, on the night of my best friends funeral my grandad died. I wish I went into the room, he seemed so lifeless and depressed laying in his bed. R.I.P Grandad

2. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry :hug:

I'm home alone too, if you need to talk :)

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

As a practical matter, if you've got dementia in your genes you need to learn things! The more you learn throughout your life the lower your chance of getting it, and the later the onset if you do get it. A second language offsets it by 4 years, for example. A major factor in dementia is that after the age of about 30 (once you settle into your career) people stop learning large amounts of new things, and the brain atrophies from disuse.

4. ali-wali

ali-wali Well-Known Member

Ooo, well every women in my dads family that my dad remembers has had dementia, my auntie has also got it. So my chances are probably pretty high. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, got another 50 years ahead of me I hope xx And thanks for your replies and advice it means alot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.