Homeless begging for drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romancer

I quickly looked at the article, didn't really read all of it, just a bit of what you said.
I usually give some change to homeless people, but I prefer the ones that sell this magazine (that they make, and it really is great), and buy it. Hm...I also prefer honesty, I would much rather give money to the person that asks me for it, and tells me it's for the wine that he wants to drink. I would give him few bucks right away, since there are the ones that ask for money...and say they need it for food and all, but when you offer to buy them food, they get upset. Hm. I know most of the homeless people in my town, and I know which ones are lying, and which ones really need it for food/shelter/etc.

It may be counter productive, but if i started writing what else is counter productive in our lives, my reply would be too big. Every story and act has two sides.

Axiom

Account Closed
Yar... Id rather buy someone whose homeless a lunch or give them some clothes. Im from vancouver and we have a sevre homeless/ drug addict issue.

Issaccs

I buy a big issue most weeks, particularly when Im walking back to my warm flat and they're stoof trying to sell the damn things in the rain.
I also empty out the change from my pockets and give them away I already have a two litre drum full of change. What fucking good does it do me.

I know people like to bitch it will be spent on drugs, however the alternative is that they could be breaking into your cars for the phone in your glove box and your radio. Whatever they spend it, they're already at rock bottom so what does it matter, I could give it too a charity but at the point in time Im handing money over its going to some poor soul whos having a shit time and wether they're finding accommodation, food or heroin they're ever so slightly better off that day.

Kaos General

Look at the article where it actually says wayne morgan, thats me. Basically even though people are begging and selling the big issue in the day, what they do at night is precisely that, break into cars and rob people at cash points to fund their habits

Kaos General

well done Wayne for getting yourself clean
and I liked the article..didn't realize that's what the beggars do
Yeah its what happens in the UK but i think it applies to everywhere else as well. Im currently working with thames reach by giving my story to as many people as possible, because its better to give money to charity than to someone on the streets because there is only one thing someone begs for and...well i think ive made my views known in that article :lol!:

ashtar

You're awesome Chuck norris! You hardly find anyone who is interested in the issues of the homeless!
I work for The Albert Kennedy Trust as a spokes person and as a volunteer and I think what they do is amazing! They dont offer money. They offer housing, support, mentors and meeting for people in a tough situation.
They mainly deal with homeless gay youth but recently with any homeless youth asking for help:)
real support is better than money.

Kaos General

You're awesome Chuck norris! You hardly find anyone who is interested in the issues of the homeless!
I work for The Albert Kennedy Trust as a spokes person and as a volunteer and I think what they do is amazing! They dont offer money. They offer housing, support, mentors and meeting for people in a tough situation.
They mainly deal with homeless gay youth but recently with any homeless youth asking for help:)
real support is better than money.
Thats basically what thames reach does, but encompasses everyone who is homeless. I used to be homeless and on a lot of drugs and if it wasnt for them id probably be still in a hostel or sleeping rough and by extension still using drugs which is why i dont mind being interviewed for things like this, because people fall for sob stories and give people money who are begging out of guilt, where in fact that money would be put to better use in a charity like thames reach or centerpoint

ashtar

Couldnt agree more. It sounds like an amazing charity. There are others like food banks in london but I dont know what has happened to them. They seem to be rare now a days! Once I worked for a charity where I was given a bucket and was asked to collect money as a volunteer for one week. From 9 to 5. I felt homeless. The cold, the mean glares, the comments you get... It was so terrible... The things you must have gone through... You know what the worst was? Seeing the Big Issue guy on the other side of the road and knowing he is really homeless... After that week I promised god I will never complain that my flat is too hot or that I ran out of towels again!

Kaos General

Couldnt agree more. It sounds like an amazing charity. There are others like food banks in london but I dont know what has happened to them. They seem to be rare now a days! Once I worked for a charity where I was given a bucket and was asked to collect money as a volunteer for one week. From 9 to 5. I felt homeless. The cold, the mean glares, the comments you get... It was so terrible... The things you must have gone through... You know what the worst was? Seeing the Big Issue guy on the other side of the road and knowing he is really homeless... After that week I promised god I will never complain that my flat is too hot or that I ran out of towels again!
Problem is homeless means you live in a hostel as well as sofa surfing. I was living in a hostel and selling the big issue and begging as well as robbing people and shoplifting etc. and then i was sleeping rough for about 7 years because i couldnt stand hostels so i know precisely what its like out there. There is no such thing as a food bank in london anymore because there is no funding. The best youll get now is soup runs

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
I used to do the soup run in London for the Simeon community met loads of alcoholics living rough and the one thing it left me with "There but for the gracce of God goes I" or anyone else for that matter.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
It's better to give them informational resources on places they can go to get the services they need, rather just give them money to accumulate and buy a bottle of booze or a pack of cigarettes. I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here it's very easy for anyone that impoverished to acquire food stamp assistance, served food, and regular food baskets from pantries, so the only excuse for literally starving is lack of ambition to help themselves. And many homeless people have mental problems and drug addictions so they may not know or pull themselves to be able to understand any way out of the situation.

Kaos General

It's better to give them informational resources on places they can go to get the services they need, rather just give them money to accumulate and buy a bottle of booze or a pack of cigarettes. I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here it's very easy for anyone that impoverished to acquire food stamp assistance, served food, and regular food baskets from pantries, so the only excuse for literally starving is lack of ambition to help themselves. And many homeless people have mental problems and drug addictions so they may not know or pull themselves to be able to understand any way out of the situation.
Yeah thats what thames reach basically does through its outreach programme, and basically we're trying to get people to see they are killing with kindness. But because the government currently fabricate the actual real homeless figures which they do by doing a 'official' street count then it kinda goes unnoticed. heres something that will make you laugh, in the whole of the UK apparantly there are only 159 rough sleepers according to the latest figures.

I got interviewed for this thing for the observer here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/dec/19/beggars-homelessness-drugs-thames-reach

Just wondered whats peoples views of giving money to the homeless? Do you think its counter productive?
I think its a generous idea XD,
dunno how the prices r in london but looks like you could, save up, and start your own business here since salayes are 200 pounds per month :lol!:
thx for reminding me i need to get out of here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00