homeless guide

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by wheresmysheep, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

So i'm facing the strong possibility of not having a place to stay soon, and yes i have a friend that will put me up for a week, but then what..
    just wondering if theres an words of wisdom anyone has?
    other than "is there no where to stay?"

2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

A sad post, Sheep... I do hope you manage to find some friends to slack off instead of the streets...but here goes.

Newspaper insulates heat, so one can stay warm at night by placing newspaper between skin and clothing.

Homeless women have a much higher risk of being abused and therefor must be extra vigilant against predators.

Women shelters can be found throughout Ireland and well...most anywhere. They're an incredibly valuable resource to use. And they're much safer than being on your own.

Millions of people struggle against homelessness every year. Whatever happens , remember that your life is neither forever marked by it or limited because of it.

Nice neighborhoods are safer, but have more police patrols.

Churches often have food and shelter programs.

Stay safe, regardless of what happens E.

:hug:

3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

how about going to social services and explaining your situation. or telling your doctor or other mental health person what's going on and they could put you in contact with someone who could help.

4. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

sheep. i am so worried about you.

talk to me anytime if u care to.

i used to volunteer at a shelter. you must get your courage up and go to one ... you have a week? go in advance to a shelter. sometimes there are wait lists. sometimes there are special shelters for women. some are age-specific. i think you are young....

the street is not for you. most shelters have programs/resources to help you move past the shelter.........jobs, financial aid for housing.

also...immediately apply for food/aid at your local welfare ofc. (the terms may be different as i am from the u.s. and i know you are across the pond)

let me know what happens.
    xx

5. wheresmysheep

ty just so its known, its not happening right this second. she's moving ever closer to it though, ty for the help/comments.
    ripper, i have spoken to you about the resources in my area, they are poor to say the least.
    heads messed.

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Do you have to stay in the area you are in? Are your struggles due to finances? These are hard times for many people. I hope something comes up before it gets that far for you. Wishing you the best Emma. :hug:

7. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

I can ask my parents if its okay you can stay here for a while :unsure:

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Hey Sheep (or Emma :) are you in the UK? If so, go to the Job Centre and inform them you have been kicked out, they will often put you in a hostel until they can find you permanent accomodation through DSS housing. Something similar happened to a friend of mine. It was a struggle at first, getting herself on her feet, but eventually she got there.

9. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

dont know if they have one in your area but could you go to a citizens advice bureau or a place like that. they can normally help out with anything and everything so theres a very good chance they could help you.

am thinking of you x :hug:

10. wheresmysheep

just an update.
    i "dont respect" her so she "is not going to put up with it much longer" i know to some it may sound less threatening than it is. but you dont know my mother, you dont know how she thinks etc etc. she through me out at 17 becuase i was "to wrapped up in your final exams" as in i was concentrating on them so i could go to college. so hoopefully that give perspective.

as for the advise given: i am in ireland, no job centers, there are social worker people i can go see, but as the current situation with the "economy" teh waiting list for accomadation is ridiculas. up to 18months in some places.

i dont have to stay in my area, but i dont have anywhere else to go so where would i go?

and i'm being thrown out of my mother home (if you hadnt sumerised as much by now) because apparently i am using her/i dont respect her/should support her as she "cant cope" with her own son and running of the house/i dont have any problems and i'm just lazy.

and thats from my own dear mothers mouth.

and in my own defence. i am very respectful of her, i dont back talk, i help out as much as i am able to, as i find it extremely hard to leave my room let alone go down stairs, i give her moeny for me staying here, etc etc. in all honesty it is her that doesnt respect anyone else. and she keeps harping on about me and my 12yr old brother not respecting her when she beat him no more than 10days ago. :rolleyes:

so yeah thats the fullish story.

11. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

What a horrible situation for you to be in.

Have you tried turning it round on your mum and asking what you can to so that she feels you are respecting her/not using her, etc? Not in a nasty way, just in a very polite, helpful, genuine way. It might be that she won't actually be able to think of anything, and so might have to rethink. Might be worth a shot.

I have no useful advice though, but I hope that you do manage to get something sorted.

12. wheresmysheep

her idea of respectful is me doing the washing up of dishes, in the morning, at lunch, before dinner, after dinner and before i go to bed. looking after my brther ie; doing his homework with him so he doesnt ask her for help (god forbid!) feeding that cats at 7am and 6pm. doing the food shopping for her. cleaning the house for her hover dust etc.

so basically be a live in servant and just disregard the fact that i am unwell and feel like a time bomb till D-day.

i know this cuase its how my years from 7-17 were spent till she threw me out last time.

13. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

sheep, in the Uk the salvation army run homeless shelters. Although i don't really understand the logistics, you could try them should the worst come to the worst.

Failing that, you can get a tent in Argos for about £25 I believe.

14. wheresmysheep

as i said i'm not in the uk, i'm in ireland, but ty

15. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

16. wheresmysheep

thank you ignored, i looked at the links you provided, and many, as the ones i found myself, are just about stopping homelessness, not about what to do when facing it, i have been intouch with a few of the "leading" charities in ireland about what steps i should take, and their main issue each time is that i am not yet homeless, that i'm not and havent been on teh street for any length of time, and i'm not in a major city ie dublin or cork.

i havent just made this post out of a "pitty me" approach, i was just wondering if anyone had any advise to share that is all.

oh and the forum link was just about general things that may lead people to homelessness ie job losses etc. not what to do if and when you are facing it.

much apriciated though :)

17. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

helping out ur mom in doing some house chores isnt going to kill you and you as her daughter should help her out without rebelling. Ever thought that your mum could be having a tough time bringing u and your little brother up and could be very tired and need some help? Sure, nobody likes to house chores, neither does your mum but she could be tired out like most parents are and the very least u could do is to help her out instead of complain. Quite frankly, if I were your mum, I would attempt to do the same. You may flame me on my posting but what I'm telling you is cold hard truth.

18. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

There's a difference in doing your fair share of housework, and more, to being treated like a slave and doing everything.

Surely EVERYone in the house should be pulling their weight, not just the OP?

19. wheresmysheep

thank you, this is my point. i dont mind helping out and i am in no way rebelling. all i am saying is for her to be happy she wont have to leave her chair unless it is to get a cold bottle of cider.
    i am not over exaduating that matter either beofre you say i am.

i know EVERYONE has hard times i realise this. but she see's me as having no problems. nothing to deal with, no responcibility, no respect for her. if i had no respect for her i wouldnt take everything she's thrown over the years.

and i am flaming you only because i have been doing these things for her since i was 7. 7 ffs. i moved out, i was away from the home for 4 years and now she wants her maid back. i a in no state of mind for all this shit, and i have sat down and explain everythign to her calmly. and she claims i have no reasoning for any of it and i am just lazy.
    still think i hvae no reason for this?

i am not a lazy ass slob. i help as best i can in the current state i am in. and its not good enough for her. and you think hitting a child is allowed if your siply "tired" of raising a child?
    i dont think so.

20. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Sheep if push comes to shove and you really are homeless, as long as you sign on so you can help with food costs, I can at least put a roof over your head, tho it will mean coming to england.
    We only have a blow up bed at the mo but we can always sort something, wouldn't want to see you on the street and it would at least give you time to sort yourself out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.