Homeless question

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by youngter, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngter

youngter Member

When someone says, “I am homeless” what do you think of first?
  2. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

That they got kicked oout, ran away, morgage when capput. I would be quiet shocked as well and try offering some help, why do you ask this?
  3. lonely..

4. youngter

youngter Member

In the past I have said some not so nice things about Homeless people, now I'm one of them, now I get it.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Can you not call a homeless shelter and get a place for you. Call a crisis line they will have connections to help you okay get you off the streets get you help. hugs
  6. DynamiteKid

DynamiteKid Well-Known Member

person without a home is what i think of. credit to the homeless in this cold weather, i cudnt handle it meself.
  7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

When I hear about homeless people, I think of people who have lost their home and are now living on the street or in their car. It can happen to anyone, especially in these tough times. Sorry to hear that you're now homeless. Have you tried a homeless shelter for help? :hug:
  8. I used to think of dirty drug addicts or alcoholics. Then I became homeless after an especially long hospitalization. I was evicted, had no job, had my car repo'ed and had to put my belongings in storage. But I couldn't pay for the storage so I lost everything I owned. Losing everything broke me.
  9. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

I had to do community service at a place called 'Avent House', a homeless shelter ran out of a lunch room in a church. They got a few "meals" a day, I remember when I served food some of them would beg me for seconds of a tiny cup of juice (I wasn't supposed to give them seconds but I figured what harm could it do). I remember feeling scared when I first showed up, after all... I was this 19 year old white kid going into a homeless shelter of mostly black guys from the ghetto. I didn't get to know them, but I realized they weren't bad people. Most of them were God loving Christians who supported one another and just wanted to play cards and have fun and try to live a normal life... just without a home.

The saddest part was the fact that there were women with 2 or 3 children who came to the day shelter. These little kids, who had done nothing wrong and surely deserved a home, were forced to spend the days in these shelters with their mothers. I'm sure some of them were drug addicts, most smoked cigarettes, and this white lady stood up and said a prayer and couldn't stop twitching her head. They are people, just like us, who fell on hard times (in Michigan especially) or are suffering from addiction. It completely changed my perspective on these "bums".

I remember asking my sister "where do they go at night?" And she just replied "anywhere they can".
  10. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

i think that isn't it crazy that people have these HUGE FRICKING HOUSES and surely they could lend a room to someone in need??? seriously.
    homelessness is a social issue - not a character fault. it makes me so annoyed. it should be so simple. no one should be homeless. if i could i would open up my parents house as a shelter haha i don't know if they'd appreciate it...
    then again there are some people who would take advantage of it or rob us or something. hmm....
    i think people who are homeless are tough. you learn to be tougher than most just to survive. of course socially some behaviours are considered 'deviant' but I think it's just a fight for survival. completely rational really.
    practically, i know homelessness is often linked in with MH issues and drug and alcohol addictions. I think being connected to services is a good start but it's hard when you don't know the very systems that are there to help.
    if i was homeless i would admit myself to hospital for something where there are social workers who can connect me into services.
  11. Dying To Live

Dying To Live Member

Living in low income housing I got to know alot of homeless people and some were good, some bad. Most of them come from horrible backgrounds and terrible families that didn't care about them so its understandable to me why many of them have alcohol and drug problems. I used to let one guy I knew stay at my apartment during the winters but had to ask him to leave because of the neighbors complaining. A few weeks later he was attacked and killed.
  12. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

2 years ago I thought I was gonna be homeless, I thought I never could be homeless but I had health issues and could not afford my rent and I was facing the prospects of being homeless, luckily I found a room with cheap rent and have been working my ass off to prevent from being homeless, but being in the situation where I thought I was going to be I can empathize with the homeless more, not really a good situation, however if someone has there health I can't empathize with them to much
  13. 41021

41021 Banned Member

I have worked with many homeless people. The first thing that enters my mind is; Resources. What available resources can be found for this person...if that is what they want.
  14. caliban

caliban Active Member

Personally I feel the same way about homeless people that most people feel. They are people who are shunned by society as a whole. The stigma of being homeless; there is nothing worse. When most people see a homeless person they think what stupid pathetic garbage they are. Maybe some sympathy. I don't know.

Now that I am technically homeless (fortunately I have never had to live on the streets. I am in the shelter system now) most of these people are really awful. They are grotesque in so many ways. It is easy to see why they are here. I can't help that I am here because of my back injury. I can't even walk or get out of bed a lot of the time because I am in so much pain. Living here is robbing me of all my pride. Despite whatever happy feel good ways of trying to look at things it robs you of your soul in so many ways. I feel like I'm trapped in a pit and can't really escape. I feel the brunt stigma of being a homeless person from the counselors and staff. The way they marginalize you and treat you like you are non-existent. There is so much suffering all around that the intrinsic value of humanity is completely gone. It's just masses of bodies here who have been discarded by society. Walking cadavers and walking reflections of the pits of human nature.
  15. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

this may sound strange, but if you are homeless how come you got internet? not trying to judge but there are several degrees of homeless. i myself have no real place to go, i just crash with different people, technically im homeless but i cant compare my situation with someone that is homeless and has to sleep without a roof over their head. so how is your situation?
  16. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

that breaks my heart. particularly the part about counsellors and staff reinforcing that.
  17. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i used to work in a public library. many homeless people would come in and use the library computers for the internet. it was a way to keep in touch with family and friends as well as send out resumes. try and keep an open mind.
  18. caliban

caliban Active Member

I'm at a shelter and I have a laptop. Like I said in my post I have never had to live on the street or anything. If it ever got to that level I would start lighting houses and cars on fire and just turn into a monster.
  19. S_P_Y_K_E

S_P_Y_K_E New Member

I spent a short spell in prison a few year back and i remember the stories from other inmates that alot of homeless people would commit a serious crime, just to get locked over the winter. They prison system struggled, but if it got them out the shitty weather and fed for a few months, I dont see why they shouldnt! They'll keep the criminals warm and fed but not the general people who need it...
  20. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

It could happen to any one of us
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.