Homosexuality in Animals

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

A recent study found gay male finches forming bonds as if they were heterosexual. I talked about this and other instances of homosexuality among animals in my blog, but would like to discuss the implications such a discovery (hardly the first of it's kind either).
  2. Jelly

Jelly Well-Known Member

I find this extremely interesting. Your blog is fantastic, by the way.
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I haven't read your blog, but I would tend to agree. Homosexuality is a genetic trait, not some christian or other warped sense of evil. It's who people are, it may be what we are to become.

Eventually the environment will kill us off, and we will have to start over again, maybe after 10 million years we will become a force in the world again.
  4. Zurkhardo

Thank you Jelly, that means a lot to know. Please feel free to spread the world, I'm looking to make something out of it ;) Your readership and support is much appreciated.

And indeed Lightbeam, there's more than ample evidence proving a biological origin. But then again, that is precisely why religious fundamentalists are so viscerally anti-science.
  5. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I think it's awesome that homosexuality is found in over 450 species. Take that people that think it's a choice! :p
  6. Raven

Raven Guest

Interesting find, but all in all seems a little silly to call it some great find.

I think it would be better to just stop shoving our own morality down the throats of others, are you born that way, or is it a choice, how about this are you happy being who you are?
    If you want to go and get married do so for all I care, if you want to adopt a kid and can show you are responsible parents more power to you. But screw anyone who says you are wrong for being you.
    Life is short, and if you are happy then damn the world that does not care, or understand, it does not matter that other species can show signs of homosexuality, we are thinking beings and can make decisions beyond some of our basic programming and if this is the life you choose then as long as you are happy and no one else is hurt in the process then the holy rollers can just keep their own prejudices to themselves and let others get on with their lives.

Quote the Raven
  7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

As long as they don't try to fuck me in the ass, I'm okay with it.
  8. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I've known someone close to me for a long long time that's homosexual.

Doesn't surprise me that animals are too.

I remember our (male) dog receiving some love from another (male) dog.

I, ofc, told him to beat it and was grossed out. But, anyway...

There's probably a biological reason. Maybe during inception or pregnancy.

Not sure what the reasons are. I'm just wondering like the rest of you.

I do not, however, assume that it's bad! That's silly. Stupid. Pretentious.

Listening to:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  9. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

I might pay to see if a finch could do that! :p
  10. Zurkhardo

I agree, but my point is to deconstruct the basis of opposition to homosexuality. Most people aren't aware of it's natural origins, much less the extent and normality of it throughout the animal kingdom. I'm merely trying to weaken their basis that it is something abnormal and detrimental.
  11. Raven

Raven Guest

It is true that people still hold those old thoughts in their heads. Really being homo, hetro is just no one else business but the person who feels that way.

It pisses me off that people have to justify their sexual orientation to others. However it always seems some jackass must always stick their nose where it does not belong.
  12. Zurkhardo

Indeed, it's pretty backwards thinking. Unfortunately, religious creeds - which overwhelmingly account for such intolerance - dictate how supremely evil it is, making non-intervention a difficult thing to endorse.
  13. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

Many religious creeds tend to condemn ANY sex outside marriage - in quite harsh terms... don't they?

And yet, we don't find people beating up a boyfriend and girlfriend sleeping together and not being married....

I don't think it is entirely because of the religious 'fatwas' on it from the Abrhamic faiths amongst others - that the violence is so directed towards homosexuals, I think it is because some people have a genuine problem with it. It makes them angry - which presumably has its root in fear ... but what to fear???? I don't know - something clearly for some people.
  14. Zurkhardo

That's a good point. There is something more to it than just faith, which likely just intensifies or validates a more deep-seated discomfort with it
  15. Slothbear

Slothbear Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised that there is homosexuality in animals as well. I agree that it is still quite fascinating though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.