Hook-up with the one you cherish

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Bart, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Bart

Bart Banned Member

Sometimes I forget that there are simple things in life that can help, particularly when in the depths of depression. Over the past few days, I realise now, I did occasionally walk past one of the three cats in my house. I’d occasionally give them a stroke under the chin to which they lean forward begging for more. In those moments I was able to forget about myself and my troubled existence and focus myself upon them. They do not demand attention, unless it’s feeding time, but they give back some warmth whenever you extend some gesture towards them.

Whilst everybody has at some time or another heard that animals are good for your emotional well-being, I certainly tend to forget from time to time. And it’s not just cats that can help you, but any animal of your choice. I’m not suggesting that animals can soothe all your worries away, and I’m also not suggesting that all animals have this effect on us. Cats and dogs are the ones that spring to mind, but I know quite a few people who find great affinity with their horses, and even tropical fish. I had a tropical fish tank up to last year when I had to dismantle it, but I fully intend to restore my tank to full operation as soon as possible. I know that I built up a sort of caring relationship with the fish. They each had characters which intrigued me, and some were even playfully amusing.

As the great philosopher Anatole France once said: ‘Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened’. How very true I find this. Animals can touch a part of the soul like perhaps humans cannot. Sometimes I meet people who say that they just do not like animals. Whilst I do not dismiss them necessarily as a ‘bad person’, I do wonder what it is about them which makes them so. Is it because they have never been touched by an animal, or is it that secretly they’re scared of them? In any case, I feel sad that they cannot enjoy something which connects us different species. It transcends language and social structure. When you hook-up with a pet you cherish, they know it, and deep down – you know it, too.

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

This is beautiful. I had a cat. I couldn't figure out why he had begun to act mean and hurtful to me suddenly. It was like he didn't trust me anymore.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I just read the following quote in the last couple of days: "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” ― Immanuel Kant

4. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Bart, good post IMHO, I could not agree more. I have now only 3 cats but had 5, I have had cats since I was 7 the first one lived 21 years, I currently have two that I have had for over 17 years. I have had dogs. When I was younger I had horses. I currently also have tropical fish. I have had some fish since I was in the 5th grade I have had many other animals.

It is true when you have Pets they do make every day better, they return the attention you give them many times over and they never judge. Cats, dogs and horses as well can really sense your moods and attitudes. They know when you are down, when you are excited or happy and often respond accordingly. They too have moods and so you have to be as forgiving as they are. they respond best to Love and Kindness. Thank You... I Daily Give Thanks for Them.

5. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

I am currently connected to People I cherish, Right Here. I do have family but they are hours away, I only hear from one now because of my depression and none of them will talk to me about it, in a way I feel comfortable with. One of them called the Police on me because I said I was depressed. She also told me that all therapy was a lie and Satanic and the only way I would be helped was Biblical etc. I said Goodbye and in 20 minutes The State Police was at my door.

I want to Thank everyone here. I Believe I would not be here right now without the people that are on this site. So many times, I have really been down, I have come on to this site and either just read or posted and my day was more bearable because I didn't feel alone. I sometimes left upset but never worse then when I opened this site. I am sitting home with my cats, Not going anywhere, It is no longer important that I have Turkey with all the condiments.

For all Of You, I give Thanks.

6. Bart

Bart Banned Member

Thanks for the replies all. I hope that if it gives anybody at least a moment's solace, then it's thanks to our pets. I particularly like the quote from Immanuel Kant.