Horrible college project

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by twilight, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilight

twilight Well-Known Member

For my sociology class, I have to talk about a life experience. I can't think of anything at all that I would feel comfortable talking about. I don't have any good life experiences. I am hating my professor very much right now. Why do I have to talk about my personal life in front of a bunch of strangers? One thing I thought to talk about is the fact that I have social anxiety disorder. Typing that out just made me think about how horrible it would be to go up in front of everyone and tell them that I am "disordered." But I can't think of anything else to do. Please help me think of something else or tell me what you think about my idea. A lot of people talked about trips they went on with a group of people. I have never done that. It has to be related to something social.

2. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I actually think it might be a good idea to tell them about your social anxiety disorder. :smile:

It could bring some awareness about the subject to your class, plus they might understand you better.
    There is nothing wrong with having social anxiety disorder and this way you could actually bring some awareness about the subject onto the people around you.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I think your idea is wonderful. I think it would be very cathartic to get up in front of people and tell them about your social anxiety, and it might actually inspire some of the people in your class who are going through the same thing. Keep in mind, NOBODY likes to stand in front of a group of people and talk. In fact most people say that they would rather jump out of an airplane than give a speech. This could really be a good thing for you :)

4. Sil

Sil Well-Known Member

I also think it is a great idea. I think your professor and the other people will be aware of how brave you are, having a such impeding disorder and nonetheless speaking of it

5. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I agree! YOu could start out with " I have social anxiety disorder, so talking to you like this is torment..." and go on from there. I think it would be quite beneficial, both to you, to get it out, and to those in your class to raise their awareness. And to take away some of the public speaking anxiety, do what I do: I imagine the audience sitting in their underwear!:laugh:

6. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

I wouldn't talk about that if I were you, unless you want to be judged. Things like these are better left in private. If you can't think of anything pertinent, the best thing to do would just make something up. It's always worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  7. twilight

twilight Well-Known Member

I personally think people that judge others for things that can't control are assholes.

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

They are. I say go for it. I really think it will do you a lot of good.

9. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

I agree. There are always going to be assholes who feed off what they perceive to be someone's weaknesses. I'm not saying social anxiety is a weakness. But I'm venturing to say that most people would see it that way.

Twilight, obviously it's your call. Just be careful. Revealing so much about yourself might feel cathartic at first. But in time there's a good chance you'll regret it. Trust me. I've been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.