Horror Movies and Depression

FFurry

SF Supporter
I think it can help, because it might stir up brain chemistry and get neurotransmitters flowing again. On the other hand, it's hard to get riled up by anything when the worst of depression hits. I guess it'll be different for everyone, and you won't know till you try it.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Can a good horror movie possibly be the best anti-depressant?
I don't think so. Depressed people are already plagued with stress and negative thoughts. I think a good comedy is the best antidepressant.
What is it about a film, a book, a poem, a song, or some other medium or conduit whereupon the expression of the human condition under duress or intense emotional stress strikes a cathartic stimulus into our hearts?
I fear that at this juncture, my ruminations compel me to adopt a contrarian position, though I must say, I am quite loath to do so:)

Depends on how much gore there is. I don't like blood/gore in horror movies.
I also do not care for the blood and gore. In my opinion, slasher films are not horror movies and actually have nothing to do with the horror genre—rather, they are at best a kind of black comedy. Horror is not about death or even violence. Horror is about fear. You don’t fear what you can see and identify. You fear just the opposite—that which you cannot see and that which you are unable to identify. Horror is truth obscured. Horror is not a dead body but rather a missing person.

Harrow

I actually like that because I deal with depression sometimes a little like that not necessarily with horror movies but any story, book, movie or poem that sums up the feelings I am feeling in such a visceral intense way. Maybe it is the feeling of not being alone or maybe it is just so intense it is a distraction. Interesting thoughts

I actually like that because I deal with depression sometimes a little like that not necessarily with horror movies but any story, book, movie or poem that sums up the feelings I am feeling in such a visceral intense way. Maybe it is the feeling of not being alone or maybe it is just so intense it is a distraction. Interesting thoughts
Absolutely Harrow. It can be any kind of a story, a book, a poem, a song etc. I think the horror film induces the ‘fight or flight’ phenomenon, however it does so from a controlled environment, which can be a therapeutic technique in dealing with stress and trauma. I do think there is something to the question for why people like to be scared. There seems to be perhaps a bio-chemical reaction with the release of adrenaline upon the inducement of fear and shock.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00