Hospital advice

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by GreenHarper, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenHarper

GreenHarper New Member

I have had suicidal thoughts for quite a while and am now having thoughts of hurting my family (with increasing intensity and regularity).
    I wish to commit myself to a mental health facility but I have no money or job, so I figured I would go to a county or state hospital (or whatever). When I brought this up to my brothers, some time ago, they thought it was a bad idea as the conditions at those types of places are pretty bad.
    I really feel at my wits end and need some help.
    So can anyone describe what it's like to be in a county mental health hospital?
    If anyone knows any free services I could take advantage of that would also be awesome.
    I live in northern California, I'm an adult male, and I have no access to any money at all, if that helps (I kinda live out in the sticks too).

2. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

I would speak to your main doctor about how you are feeling and see what he suggests. explain that you don't have much money if that helps.
    do you get any state help?

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Do yo have Medicaid? Some private hospitals will take medicaid as well. In addition most counties have mental health programs available based on income. To find out what public service options call 211 - it is the social service line and they will connect you with the correct department or social workers to help you find assistance.

4. kinetickrown

kinetickrown Member

Hey I also live in northern California. If you seek state assistance they will send you to Napa and from what I've heard you do not want to go there. But who knows they might send you somewhere else. I've been to mental hospitals all around northern California including Vallejo which was hell. I slip in and out of psychosis regularly and have been hospitalized 6 times in the past year. Please talk to your doctor and consider the mental hospital as a last resort. Being locked up in there sucks but if its what you need to keep yourself and others safe then do it.

5. GreenHarper

GreenHarper New Member

Sorry for the response taking so long, it's been pretty hard for me to come back here.
    I suppose a better description of my situation is in order. I'm basically homeless and jobless, but I'm staying with my brothers right now. Anytime I've tried to talk to them about any of this stuff, its gotten nowhere.
    The only time I've ever been to a doctor in conscious memory was when I got a physical when I was 17. I don't remember that guys name or even what hospital that was in. So that's a dead end.
    I'm willing to accept the strictures of a hospital if it means I can talk to someone face to face and get some help. I'd prefer to be able to leave when I want, so I don't want to be commited by anyone but myself. I'm in a kinda rural area of Butte county right now, and I just have no idea of where to even start. I also have an extremely hard time talking to people (like anxious and nervousness and all that. Hell, it was hard to just come and read any responses to this.). I guess I just want to be armed with as much info as possible before I proceed with any course of action. I'm also quite frankly terrified of doing anything to change this terrible position I'm in. I'm just scared and confused, and I feel like I'm reaching a flashpoint where somethings got to give.

6. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

you should be eligible for medicaid or other programs available in california. 211 might be helpful to call if you haven't tried that yet.

you might try a search on the internet for info on healthcare in california. folks here try to help, but are from all over the place and therefor may not know too much about the ropes in california.

I found some info online for california:

24 hour icon 24 hour service

telephone iconOur helplines are open 24 hours a day call us on

Helpline 1: 001310 391 1253

Helpline 2: 877 727 4747
    Toll free LA County

this may be outdated though, since the link for their website was bad. you might be able to find other resources online. my guess is that someone who is in cali will know the low-down about hospitals out there. please keep talking to us here if that is helping. hope that things can get better soon!

7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you go to an emergency room, they cannot turn you away, and will pursue entitlements for you to get their bill paid...there are 'complaints' a patient can make which assures hospital entry...no need to lie but keep in mind the conditions they must treat and admit

8. Slothbear

Slothbear Well-Known Member

I recommend doing a forum a search 'psych' or 'psych ward' to read about people's experiences. Yes, they wont all be positive but alot of them are very informative and give you advice and an idea of what it is like.

http://www.suicideforum.com/showthr...ver-been-in-a-psych-ward-And-what-was-it-like

http://www.suicideforum.com/showthr...to-the-hospital-when-suicidal&highlight=psych

http://www.suicideforum.com/search.php?searchid=303170

Also you will unfortunately figure out(you probably even already know this) that there is a bad stigma in relation to psychiatric care, particularly inpatient care(psych ward or psych hospital). So you will find that alot of people do not support going but if you believe you need it you should by all means go. Don't listen to anyone else, they don't even have to know. From experience you will come out as a stronger person.

Keep in mind though, hospital care is not a cure, it is to stabilize and get you back on track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.