Hospital stays/visits UK

obiretter

SF Supporter
Can people tell me about their hospital visits/stays etc in the UK please? Whether it was planned or emergency.

How did you approach? How were you recieved etc? What happened?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
In the UK, unless you're going in for some kind of inpatient program admissions tend to be emergency purely due to the lack of beds available. Even in emergencies, they can't always find you a bed.

With me it started with a GP appointment. I was seeing her once a week due to depression and had attempted a few months before. It was a hideous appointment, I had self harmed badly and I could barely speak. She called my husband in who was waiting outside and very matter of factly told him she thought I needed admitting and if I didn't go in voluntarily, they would have to section me. She sat us in an empty office until the crisis team arrived to make the arrangements. We sat in there for two or three hours while we waited for them to find a bed and fill in all the paperwork and then we were told to go home, pack a bag and arrive at the hospital at 9pm. It all felt very calm, I guess I was feeling quite numb. None of it felt real.

As we were driving to the hospital, the fear set in and by time we got there I was terrified and crying. It was so worse than I'd imagined, a cross between a hospital and a prison with not a single ounce of homeliness or comfort visible. We were shown into a room where the duty psychiatrist asked pages and pages of questions and ticked loads of boxes. Me and my bag were both searched for anything prohibited and then it was time to say goodbye to my husband and be shown to my room. There was a female and a male corridor with 6 rooms on each, all with ensuite shower rooms, a TV room, kitchen (complete with plastic mugs and plastic cutlery) and an outside area.
It was noisy and everyone seemed to be very angry in there and it scared the hell out of me. As I was a voluntary patient I could leave the hospital with permission so I spent most of my days in the cafe down the road. There was no kind of therapy on offer in there and I never saw another psychiatrist or anyone other than the day to day care workers (who were all lovely) until I discharged myself two weeks later.

I'm glad I went in when I did. I don't know what I'd have done that day but it probably wouldn't have been good. It was the right thing to do at that point. But ultimately, it also wasn't going to help me to get better once I was over that pure crisis point. Does that make sense?

All hospitals are of course different and have different ways of doing things so I can only speak for my experience in that hospital.

obiretter

SF Supporter
@Sunspots Thankyou so much for sharing that with me. It does make sense what you say. I wonder if your experience is the norm or if it differs much place to place.

Sometimes I feel like going to a hospital is my only option so it's really helpful to have a bit of insight. I'm glad it served a purpose for you. I suppose afterwards it was just a case of having to continue on the path to healing off of your own back?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I suppose afterwards it was just a case of having to continue on the path to healing off of your own back?
Before I asked for a meeting to talk about my discharge I contacted a private therapist so that I could show I was being proactive in my recovery as I was very aware that they could refuse to let me leave.
Since leaving I've had a lot of support from her and from my CPN and psychiatrist and now also attend group therapy. It's been a long road but it's finally not quite as steep.

obiretter

SF Supporter
Before I asked for a meeting to talk about my discharge I contacted a private therapist so that I could show I was being proactive in my recovery as I was very aware that they could refuse to let me leave.
Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you. Tankyou again for sharing with me. It really helps. And I'm glad you're on a better road atm. ❤

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
This time I was sectioned at home. The social worker had to wait with me until an ambulance came to take me to hospital. I'm on a section 3 now, still in hospital.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00