Hospital therapy

Decode

My doctor keeps offering me therapy which is run down at the local hospital. I'm a little hesitant to get in that scene. Has anyone had any experience with it, good or bad. How much is it likely to cost me? Thanks

Scum

What kind of therapy is it?

I would suggest ask him questions about it and decide from there. Why are you reluctant to do it?

I've done therapy at one hospital in particular, but the rest of the treatment I've had has been private. If its NHS then it won't cost you anything, if its private and you have insurance then it won't cost you anything, but if you choose to seek private therapy either away from a hospital or at a private hospital with no insurance then the costs will vary.

I guess it might be worth asking if you would lose anything by trying it?

Decode

I'm not sure which therapy it was i never asked, i think she was just pushing i should talk to someone, i will ask next visit. I didn't realize the nhs one would be free.

I don't know why i've been feeling relucant, its just a scary thought opening up to someone, i've never had anyone to talk to like that. A little sense of embarssment i guess. :nerves:

Last edited by a moderator:

Scum

There's a huge variety of things they can offer, from different types of therapy, different activities, some time limited, some are not. Its definitely worth asking questions because then you can make an informed decision.

I think its normal to feel embarassed and probably a bit awkward. The therapist or leader will be used to dealing with a variety of actions and circumstances of people entering therapy and will have seen how you feel many times before (if that makes sense). Its important to remember that you will be in control and can say as much or as little as you like. Obviously the more they know the more they can help, but equally, you have control over what you say.

There are some sorts of therapies that don't involve talking and opening up as you may be thinking. Counselling requires it, but things like CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and DBT (Dialectic Behavioural Therapy) are focused on teaching skills to help yo cope with whatever is going on in your life, so that's more focused on dealing with the present, not healing the past.

Decode

Last time the doc started asking questions i nearly cried my eyes out, i started welling up and my lip was shaking, i could barely speak. I think if i had councilling i would just spend the whole session in tears. I do think it would help though. Maybe i should try while im on these meds can't cry for shit.

I didn't really know about behavioural therapy, i'll enquire. Thanks

Scum

Its ok to cry, and actually, its expected. They understand that the issues that will be raised in therapy will be distressing and they should be able to help you cope with the distress as and when it arises. There are also ways that a therapist can help you communicate if you are unable to speak (for whatever reason).

If you think it might help then its worth looking into and you never know, it could turn your life around.

loser

It depends on the therapy. In UK it would be free on NHS. Group therapy is usually better than one to one. There are lots of different types. Djembe drumming is regarded as therapeutic. Drummers seem to have good mental health. Singing in choir is also healthy Exercise is important. Joining groups for walks might be therapeutic - and cheap.But doctor should know about details and cost. Hope you get some therapy that suits you.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00