Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by lil-sis-one-of-two, Nov 14, 2007.

1. lil-sis-one-of-two

lil-sis-one-of-two Well-Known Member

I am going to a hospital tomorrow, to the department of psychiatry to try and get some help, I have been reffered there by my doctor.
    I am worried about what is going to happen.
    Can anyone tell me?

Many Thanks
  2. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know too. Its one of my biggest fears, being commited.
  3. lil-sis-one-of-two

4. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

We are trying to find info on this issue to eventually post it for all to know. So far not enough info so can't be of any help so fare so should you come across a site giving info, please forward me the url or post it here.

hugs to both and hope you will find answers to your wondering. know that many are looking for answer on this...... you voiced it so thank you

5. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Hello Ebbie, I think from your post you are going to an outpatient appointment, is this correct?
    If you are attending out patients, then it is similar to a medical outpatients except you don't have a physical examination, you just talk to the doctor.
    You may have blood tests depending on what medication you are on or if you have any other underlying conditions.
    I'm sure you will find the staff very understanding and kind, try not to worry too much, it won't be anywhere near as bad as you fear.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  6. elliebelle

elliebelle Active Member

They mostly have you fill out a long form and go over it with you. They ask you a lot about your goals and what you want about treatment. They'll likely talk about medications with you. Usually they're very nice and reassuring and try and make it as easy on you as possible. It's more the thought of it the is scary the first time, it usually ends up being a fairly good experience once you get there. It may be helpful to write down some of what they say because you get a lot of information at once and it can be difficult to remember everything. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have they're usually quite happy to answer them. Also, if you find you are uncomfortable with the psychiatrist or find that your personalities really don't mesh well don't be afraid to ask your doctor to send you to someone else instead. Occasionally that happens and it's important to have someone you work well with when dealing with emotional issues, you need to be able to be really honest with them. Good luck with your appointment!
  7. derbygirl

derbygirl Chat and Forum Buddy

ellibelle hit that right on the head. i must emphasise the point of requesting a different psych if you dont feel comfortable with him or her. You are entering the hospital to be helped, you wont be readily helped if you arent comfortable. And good luck
  8. lil-sis-one-of-two

Thanks for replying.

I went to my appointment today.

They were really nice and really cared they listen and talked to me.
    We now have a plan of action, right now it looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    I hope it lasts!

I am now on medication that I will start taking tomorrow and I will be going to see someone to talk soon.

All in all I am pleased I went.

9. elliebelle

elliebelle Active Member

I'm glad to hear your appointment went well. Good for you for taking that step!
  10. derbygirl

derbygirl Chat and Forum Buddy

Glad to hear that it all went well. I hope everything gets better for you

11. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

That is what I call good news. So glad you went and now seeing the out tunnel.

Keep us posted hun.

Be well and safe