• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Hospitalization question

I fear ever being admitted to the hospital, however I have another question pertaining to it. If you are admitted for being suicidal, really what else do they do for you other than counsel you and give you more meds...all things you could get on an outpatient basis? Is it a question of hospitalizing someone just to keep them safe for the time being?

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
I think it's a, about keeping them safe, and b, depends on the programme. Some just do a, and some offer great programmes and being full day somewhere can help you work through and get past it faster than outpatient.

MosesY

The most important part of hospitalization is developing a safety plan. I still have mine in my front file. Things to do, people to call, etc. I found a hospital environment very comforting. People pay attention to you, they ask you what is wrong, food is delivered to you, you can make friends, etc. I hope I never have to go back but I would rather turn myself in to the hospital than end my life.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Well for one, you're in a safe place. You also don't have to worry about chores and meals and stuff. And the counseling and med management is many more hours than you would get outpatient, and you'd have more groups and stuff like that I'd guess.

Angie74

First of all, good luck getting admitted, especially if you are experiencing suicidal ideation you have yet to act upon. If you have no previous (or very few) prior psych admissions, you have a chance of being admitted. Sometimes you will only be kept overnight, or just for a day or so. But, basically inpatient hospitalization these days, at least where I am, is a thing of the past unless you are acutely psychotic or have already proven that you have or will harm yourself, or someone else.

Angie74

I'm sitting in an ER dept right now because I'm suicidal. They will probably just send me home. They always say, well you haven't hurt yourself yet. I am giving up faith that I will ever get another inpatient admission, which I badly need.

ib4uib

I fear ever being admitted to the hospital, however I have another question pertaining to it. If you are admitted for being suicidal, really what else do they do for you other than counsel you and give you more meds...all things you could get on an outpatient basis? Is it a question of hospitalizing someone just to keep them safe for the time being?
Depends really, you can be admitted if you're seriously suicidal, and you can be admitted if you are seriously suicidal and a danger to others. I fall into the first one!

If you're lucky you'll find a therapist who will talk to you once a week, if you're really lucky you'll spot a couple of nurses who will engage with you playing chess, scrabble or football (football as in kicking a football, not handling it)

Meds are messed with almost daily, then once they find one that gets you buzzed you can wait in line for it every night before bed!

So usually you come out saying, 'fu*k that, I'm not going back in there again'

Though the buzz wasn't bad.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$600.00
Goal
$255.00