Hospitals

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Batty, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batty

Batty New Member

I don't have any kind of insurance. No prospect of getting any. I've never been to a "mental institution" of any kind, but I think I need to go. I've made meager attempts at suicide in the past, none were successful. I was a teenager at that point, so I donno. That might explain that. I'm 24 now and these thoughts of suicide haven't gone away since I was about 12. I feel like spending half my life this way is too much, but that I don't really care. I just want to die. I want my husband to go back home to his family where he's safe and comfortable and I want to die, alone.

Anybody I tell about this freaks out and tells me they don't want to even talk about it anymore because it makes them worried. That's fine, I respect those boundries, but I think the time where this issue is going to make it's move is coming very close to the present.

I guess what I'm wondering here is how one goes about voluntarily checking themselves into some kind of facility. I don't have any money at all. Literally none. Not even a handful of change. Is there anything I can do in the U.S.?

thanks.

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

your not alone batty, i'm like this also, unfortunately i have not found anyway to do wat you are looking to do, it seems to be that once you admit you have a problem you cant get help, which n itself is sick. :hug: welcome to SF and please stay around long enough we're an ok bunch :)

Sheep x

3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I dont know but the mental health system in the USA is a fucking joke, I wish I had got help when I reached out for it in about April and my life would be totally different and I probably would be happy now, but because I didnt have Insurance and because I couldnt cough up $100 an hour I was denied and my life has basically gone to shit

And I also tried going to a mental hospital about 2 months ago because I really felt like I was going crazy and they denied me because I didnt have any health insurance, they just wanted me to guarantee them I wouldnt kill myself something I reluctancly agreed to

What a country, this country makes you go crazy with the way it is run and the people who are leaders, then when you reach out for help there is none because you dont have any money, I think they just want people to kill themselves unless they are working for the man, just a capitalist version of slavery

but depending on where you live there are some social services, if you look in your yellow pages there might be a mental health phone number in the beginning, I think every county has some type of mental health social service, sometimes they have really long waiting lists or sometimes they might direct you to a place that has a low cost clinic or something

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  4. Batty

Batty New Member

thanks

5. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I don't know about the US but you could go to a hospital, tell them how you're feeling and ask them what they can do? I dunno. Just an idea. :hug: Hope things get better for you soon.

6. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

sadly that rarely works, i have been laughed out of a&e's too many times i wont go back.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hello,
    I don't know what state you live in, but here in Florida They have an organization called ACT they are a mental health facility who takes in people on medicaid or medicare. If you have insurance for medicare they send you to the hospital where it is much better facilities.
    When I had my breakdown I was in Pinegrove about 7 times. after that my insurance kicked in and I wound up in the hospital 2 times. I need to go back in but can't right now because my daughter and grandaughter are relying on me. So I am living in my own little part of Hell.
    Sorry I got off subject. The way I got admitted was I wrote everything down so I wouldn't forget any thing because my mind was all screwed up. I took the letter I had written to the hospital and told them I was in crisis and wanted to die. When they asked if I was planning to harm myself, I told them yes!! My suggestion would be call the hospital and ask to speak to someone in the mental health ward. Tell them you are suicidal and ready to harm yourself and ask what you should do??
    Good Luck and if you need to talk then PM me. Take Care!!!~Joseph~

8. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

Joseph is right. Go to the ER nearest you and tell them exactly how you feel and what you've been thinking. In my experience they will take you seriously. Your next option might be calling your county mental health office. I've been receiving therapy for two years, and haven't paid a nickel. They've been very kind and very helpful.

Jim

9. Stranger1

Hey Batty,
    How are you doing today? I am doing o.k. Still not sleeping. Even on xanax I will fall asleep but it only helps me to fall asleep then I will wake up around one or two A.M. and I am up the rest of the night.
    I still reccomend writing out a suicide letter and tell them you are suicidal and you are ready to commit. If you have a letter and you are ready to harm yourself they will admit you to the hospital until they can find someone or someplace that will help you.
    Don't be afraid of going in because it isn't like the TV shows you see. They are usually very helpful. Have you tried to apply for help thru social services to get medicaid. Or file for disability you can get insurance thru them. Please keep PMing me, I don't want to read something has happened to you. Take Care an Stay Strong!!!~Joseph~

10. pachrissy

pachrissy Well-Known Member

i dont have any insurance either. but when i ended up in the hospital for a medical reason, medicaid paid the bill. it seems that i qualified for medicaid once i was in the hospital but not before. then i had medicaid for a year for follow up. and once i got admitted they started the paperwork while i was in the hospital. i was all done very quickly. just thought that might help. im in penn so it might be the same for you. i hope you go. im in as much pain as you and i hope nobody has to go through this. warm wishes

11. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

People like that piss me off so much. They think they can just ignore something and not think about it and it will be ok. They think their comfort outweighs a suicidal person's well-being. They don't want to take any responsibility so they end up BEING responsible by not doing anything about it. I can't even begin to comprehend how anyone could think this way. I had a couple of "friends" like this who completely screwed me over when I needed them the most because they were "uncomfortable" and "didn't want to deal with it". I try not to think about it but I seriously hate their fucking guts. These are people who don't give a shit about you when you're alive but will pretend to have a trace of guilt and wish they'd done something if you end up dead. Not to mention the most basic advice about dealing with a suicidal person is that you need to listen to them, tell them you care, not judge, and take it seriously (which is also just plain common sense). So Batty you're in good company.

12. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I had no insurance and attempeted suicide 3 times with in a week so my social worker committed me in to the state mental institution for me it was a bad experince.. when i had insurance i felt i had better quailty and helped me more... the techs in the state institution didn't give a crap it was just a pay check to them... just my Opinion to me it was better than nothing or else i would be dead:biggrin: ....Don't give up

13. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

It's not much better here either. The so called "free" healthcare land fails epicaly with mental health. The government just announced that we spend most of our healthcare budget on mental healthcare, yet we face 9 month waiting lists, being treated as time wasters and doctors push anti depressants for EVERYTHING, like door to door salesmen.

I know people who've been to the hospital following attempts and been ridicluled by poorly trained staff, been sent home to wait 9 months for "therapy" or sent away with more tablets to OD on!

The system in the US is bad, but it's not perfect anywhere when it comes to mental health. I know there are various schemes in the US that offer healthcare help to less well off people but I have no idea of the details.

14. Stranger1

You need to sit down and write out everything that is happening or going thru your mind. Also write down if you have a plan to commit. That will help you not to forget anything. Thats what I did and they admitted me to a facility called Pinegrove. It wasn't bad. The floor techs were very helpfull and the nurses except one were very nice. Being inpatient gave them time to diagnose me! They gave me a letter to apply with SSI for benefits. I have been on it for about 8 years. Try that and see if it doesn't help. If they ask if you are going to harm yourself tell them yes. If you say no or just don't answer they won't admit you because you are stable in there book. That one little word (stable) can keep you from getting any kind of benefits or help!!! Take Care~Joseph~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.