Hotline? Need advice

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GreenChick, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenChick

GreenChick Active Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of a safe anonymosu hotline to call. A while back, I called a local hotline (acutally, it was a 1-800 number that referred me to a local hotline) and the guy was a JERK! He fired off questions at me "What meds are you on? Where do you live? Who is your doctor?" etc so fast and was totally rude to me when I told h im I just wanted to talk. (exasperated voice "I'm just trying to help you, you're being difficult" like that's what I want to hear- that and threats of being locked up, right? I ended up hanging up and am understandably reluctant to call again. But I have been struggling, and I promsied a friend I wouldn't kill myself without calling someone first, and sometimes no one is around- Does anyone know a 'safe' hotline to call?

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The problem with hotlines is that the people that answer the phones are all volunteers. While they have limited training, they do not handle things the same way. I have called 1-800-SUICIDE and had some very good help on the other end, yet a few times I did not care for the person I was talking to and felt no better than I had before. Overall my experience with them was positive though. Another number would be 1-800-273-TALK. I hope you find these helpful.
  3. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about the Samaritans.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.