Hotline Question?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Beamer1970, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beamer1970

Beamer1970 New Member

I have some questions about calling a suicide hotline and I was wondering if anyone had an experience with this or any information they could share.

If I call a local or national number will they know who I am and can they trace my number?

Do they call the police if you call?

Thank you very much for any information you can offer.
  2. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I really don't know much. But if they have caller id your number will show up on it. And they could always press star 89 or what ever that number is to find out your number. I don't know if they do that or not but it's usually possible for any one to trace calls.
  3. danni

danni Chat Buddy

they will call if u need help, from what i know no they ask you if they can call :hug:
  4. Beamer1970

Beamer1970 New Member

okay thank you very much for your responses. I guess I won't be calling any hotline then. :sad:
    Thank you again
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If you need to call for help, please do so. I have used hotline numbers on more than one occasion. Most of the time i found them to be helpful. Be careful of giving them any identifying information if you don't want them to trace you. Only once did they call someone for me and then all that happened was someone came to see if I was all right. It wasn't a case of sirens or anything. I admitted to calling the hotline, but said I was fine then. They left and said to call them if I needed help. Was not anything traumatic at all.
  6. Ipse_Dixit

Ipse_Dixit Well-Known Member

i called and they traced my number and after I had hung up...45 minute later two sheriff deputies knocked on my door at like 230 in the morning and took me handcuffed to the hospital. they would barely let me dress, barely let me take anything but my keys and my identification and then put me in the back of the sheriff's car and took me to the hospital. saying it was "procedure" to handcuff and put you in the back of the sheriff's car.

i felt like a criminal and felt like i was "bad" just because i called to tell someone i was feeling suicidal.

i am 34 now...but when i was 17 I was taken to the hospital for being suicidal and was traumatized there. it was horror!!!

so i hate the hospitals. and so to be taken there against my will, handcuffed...was just traumatic again.

this may not be everyone's experience...but it was mine.

NEEDLESS TO SAY.....i will NOT EVER CALL or tell anyone again.....because of the trauma of the being imprisoned in a hospital. That's part of why my death is inevitable...because NO ONE is SAFE to tell. I've tried to tell many people that I feel my life is worthless and that I am sure life would be better for all if I'm dead. I've been either imprisoned in the hospital, ignored or dismissed or not responded to at all....or people have evaded the issue. And one of them even got a court order to have me stop telling her (and she was my psychotherapist). And EVERYONE i've tried to get to hear me has been supposedly in the business of helping...doctors, psychologists, therapists, psychotherapists.....many many

and being in a hospital may work for some....but not for people who's traumas and agony come from the terrors of being in the hospital prior. they can't keep using "cookie-cutter" or "paint-by-numbers" health care.....because for some people it just destroys them more.

...and if those who are supposed to tell you it is going to get better just ignores you and dismissed my agony....then that really says something. even the "professionals" know i am an "acceptable loss"

That is why it comes so naturally for everyone to either hurt me more or dismiss worthlessness just "fits the natural rhythm of life".

But again....I will NEVER CALL A HOTLINE AGAIN.

But again...that is my experience...I'm sure hotlines can help everyone else, who is not me..."an acceptable loss"
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I tried hotlines, or crisis intervention, whatever in US. But first I checked to see which ones were anonymous. Bottom line-none really. If you call a hotline and tell them you want to kill yourself, they will ask if you have a way to do it, and if you intend to act on it right away. If you answer "yes", the number WILL be traced if it's a land line. A team of specially trained butterfly net people will arrive to assist you (not to kill yourself-off ya go!). Many hotlines will ask-"Would you like to go to the hospital now?"-if you want to go, say yes. If you just called for a shoulder to cry on, forget it, they're dealing w/ real life or death crises. If yours is one, say so. They're volunteers mostly college students who have been trained in how NOT to communicate with
    the psychological problem, but to assess whether physical harm is imminent.
    Cell phone anonymity? If thats how you get your jollies.
    The hotlines can help, if you're in crisis. Depending upon the traffic, they may be able to calm you down, then again, maybe not. I never had to deal with butterfly nets because I didn't want to. At one point when I was so alone, it was a voice of sanity in what seemed a world gone mad. I don't recommend using crisis lines for that reason alone, but then again-your tax dollars at work!
  8. esuicide

esuicide Member

I called them two weeks ago and spent a week in hospital. I called them they ask my name and phone number, so I gave it to them, they asked if I was suicidal and I said I had a gun in my hand does that count, they asked me to put it down I said sure and did, they ask me if anyone was with me I said yes, she asked me to put them on the phone, so I did my wife remove the gun from my presents and put me back on the phone and told me I need to come into the ER immediately or they were going to sent a sheriff to my house. So I did.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  9. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Good ole Ohio-love it or leave it. Personally, I'd love to leave it.
  10. esuicide

esuicide Member

there are a lot of worst places on this planet of course the are a couple better ones too.
  11. esuicide

esuicide Member

Very true and well said, if I got a busy signal or please hold, I might not be here!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.