House passes authority for worldwide war

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

The House just passed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), including a provision to authorize worldwide war, which has no expiration date and will allow this president — and any future president — to go to war anywhere in the world, at any time, without further congressional authorization. The new authorization wouldn’t even require the president to show any threat to the national security of the United States. The American military could become the world’s cop, and could be sent into harm’s way almost anywhere and everywhere around the globe.

Before the vote, the House debated an amendment that would have struck the worldwide war provision. That amendment was introduced by a bipartisan group of representatives: Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.), Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), and Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas). Given the enormity of the proposed law, you’d expect the House to debate the amendment to strike it extensively, but that’s not what happened. The amendment was debated for a total of 20 minutes. That’s right. Twenty minutes to debate whether Congress should hand the executive branch sweeping worldwide war authority.

The vote on the amendment took place earlier this afternoon, and it failed on the House floor by a vote of 187-in favor to 234-opposed. Check the vote here.

But not to worry, all of your efforts to bring the importance of the new law and the amendment to strike it to your representatives’ attention have not been in vain — we promise. Today’s vote marks the end only of the first stage in our opposition to an authorization of endless worldwide war for the president and to be honest, we came out looking pretty good.

Though it is a bit awkward to celebrate a loss, a margin of defeat of only 47 votes on a provision that most people were unaware of as recently as two weeks ago is a big step forward. The momentum is on our side. And the Obama administration helped efforts to turn the tide when it issued a threat earlier this week to veto the NDAA if it contained such board sweeping language for worldwide war.

Your answers to the call for action and the expedient work of a bipartisan group of members of Congress and their staff have our opposition movement very well positioned as we prepare for the next hurdle—the Senate.

The Senate Armed Services Committee is scheduled to begin its markup of the NDAA beginning on June 13. Watch for updates as we continue on this important issue.

http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/house-passes-authority-worldwide-war

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

the yanks seem to want to control EVERYTHING.

if we hadn't sanctioned Antartica as a science only place, I'm sure they would have grabbed it for its (apparent?) underground oil resources.

Not that I have much to worry about. Australia seems to like idiots. :rolleyes:

3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

speechless. thank you for putting this information here. I was unaware of this. Fortunatly, I live in a state where the house rep ( and sentaors ) tend to vote in ways that are sane as possible, considering the crazy circumstances in DC and the US. Thanks again.

4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Godwin's Law, I must obey!

“Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.”
    -Martin Luther King

"When fascism comes to America, it will not be in brown and black shirts. It will not be with jack-boots. It will be Nike sneakers and Smiley shirts … Germany lost the Second World War. Fascism won it."
    -George Carlin

5. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

we have always been at war with Eastasia!

seriously though, the way the economy and world population is going, a world war is sadly overdue.

6. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Its not a good time to join the armed forces. Not unless you like the idea of being some hired goon sent to subjugate the natives by terrorising them - then offering to 'help out'.

I know people who have been in the forces - in the past, it was actually great when in peacetime. Fantastic life with the lads. But these days - its Iraq, Afghanistan, maybe a sneaky jungle raid in Africa, followed by some dodgy mission train extreme Muslims how to be really extreme.

Look at Libya - we have British going one way - young Libyan men of fighting age heading to the UK. This is a pattern as we have tens of thousands of Iraqis (maybe 100,000 or more) and the same with Afghanistan males. Now Libyans, Syrians and other Arab Springers, have fled.

America's idea of helping out is to still have military bases built for WW2 left all over the world - plus the covert operations to topple elected governments and replace them with dictators or topple dictators and bring in elected governments.

America used to be the country everyone admired - the 'land of the free' as we were told. As kids we'd watch the Westerns - but wonder why the Indians were the 'baddies' because in history we'd studied the effect of empires on indigenous people - how immigration or migration en masse. could practically wipe out the natives.

Whites and blacks in America are mostly immigrants whose presence pushed out the Indians - practically wiped them out.

The plan continues - to not so much wipe people out but to wipe out any ideas of nationality, geographical pride, even race is lined up.

With no nation, no national pride, no sovereignty or recognitions of nations boundaries- the entire world can be ruled from one throne - and we can all be 'citizens' of Earth - likely chipped before birth, designated a social class and engineered to do whatever task we might be designated to do.

Of course most of the worlds population is seen as 'useless eaters'. To see people like this takes a special kind of elitism. Some might think that the world would be a better place with only 1 billion or so - perhaps less. This would be 'ideal' for whom exactly? After all - a useless eater is still a human being. That counts for something right? Alas, not! if the war industry has anything to with it we will all be target practice - after all the war industry is a major power - more lobbyists swarm around politicians for arms than they do for peace. T

The enemies we have - switch so often now that the average person only needs to reach the age of 21 to see that politics is an evil process whereby the worse of us are picked to rule over the rest of us, and the people who really rule us are like someone with a pair of puppets. We vote for puppet a or puppet b and the puppet-master is a winner.

Those who rule over us - want us to be dumb. Who knows what lies have been taught to us to deceive us into thinking a particular way? I revise everything I've been taught on a continual basis.

The best slave is a slave which has no chains - needs no chains, because they 'love' that slavery. Such a slave would even turn on someone trying to set them 'free'.

If slavery is defined by the fact you cannot withdraw your labour (there is not a better definition out there, I've looked) then I'd say 99% of us are already slaves well in the making.

I think this coming war will confirm in me something I've felt for a while. I like people, but in some ways, I do worry how so many can be so easily misled.

In the words of Bob Marley...

Check out the real situation
    nation war against nation
    were did it all begin?
    were will it end?
    and it seems like, total destruction, the only solution
    it ain't no use, no-one can stop them now!

So cheer up, have some fun whilst it lasts!
    Try and find someone to walk hand in hand with in the mushroom cloud sunset - if it happens, when it happens, but as for the date?

Don't have a clue.

7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

The direction this world is headed in is crazy.

8. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

People who join the military have us in their hearts. You're wrong about them. Peace is impossible. Look at our country. Do we have peace? In 2007, there were 209 murders in Louisiana, New Orleans. Everyone knows how much crime there is (or i think they do). There is no peace. We depend on a police force to keep things civil and from exploding in our face. Same thing happens internationally. Countries go berserk. We have to have a military force to keep things civil and from exploding in our face. Life is a a record played over and over and each time therer're a couple more scratches so the sound changes and it goes like this until the record is shredded and then god or yhwh or ishvara or allah or amun-ra or nirvana or the big black hole creates a new one and a new universe is born.

Humans are violent. It's their nature. We all have evil inside us. Hitler isn't a distant reminder. Hitler is everyday crawling out of its human host and wreaking havoc on the world. Never rests. So this idea that we have soldiers or police and a court system to prosecute or execute makes sense since we need warriors to shield ourselves from the inner hate and violence that leaks out.

You see there is no black or white. We're all a mix of good and bad. It's only a trick of fate that any of us survive. If you're breathing right now and not bleeding from your skin and brain then consider yourself blessed to have this opportunity to live a while. Use it to better yourself and others. Enjoy the time you have. But don't obsess about the things you can't change.

Remember that, as a general rule, no place is too far if you get their with your own wheels. It's not always true, though. But, broadly, history has evolved in us a set of circumstances and they're protective. So long as you go with what's available to you it should be within your limits, but not always. Sometimes we break new ground and history didn't anticipate it. People die. That's life.

So, ya, this life is like a song. Keep the beat going. We're all more alike than we've ever dreamed of. Maybe I feel that way because I fear death and don't want to think tis an end. But then I have some evidence to turn to. Look at all of hte life on this planet and think of all the potential life in the multi-verse of worlds. The DNA we share is so unique... The genetic difference between things on earth is so small. The difference between one person and another is even smaller. We really are one big family. And you know what else? We might even be one person living different lives. Why not? We're like a ray of light broken up into its rainbow of colors.

So, oddly, one way of helping yourself is to help someone else. They're really you, in another life!

Sorry for going turning left on lakeside drive. I think this whole topic (war, authoritarianism, etc) needs some levity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  9. Mr. Goldstein

Mr. Goldstein Well-Known Member

But world-wide war has existed ever since our oldest ancestor, the bacteria, came into existence. They invented penicillin and then used it to kill all the other bacteria that came in their way. All our ancestors since then tried to pillage, kill, and rape as many individuals as they could get away with. And one million years from now, our descendants will be pillaging, killing, and raping each other, until our sun burns out one billions years from now and all the planets sink into the burned out sun. But, if our descendants have built a spaceship to take them to another solar system, they will form communities there where they will pillage, rape, and kill each other. So, the point is that pillaging, killing, and raping is built into the basic DNA of all Earth-based life. One must ask then if life on Earth is worth perpetuating. What if all humans just got together and jumped off a cliff? Humans could make it a big celebration. Hopefully, there is another species out there in the universe that is non-violent and caring: let them inherit the universe.

10. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I would like to post how I feel about this. I have read what others think and feel. I do not think that Earth, or humankind is doomed. Not at all. I think that things have gone iin a horriffic direction, for sure. I think that people have been desensitized to war, murder, pain, suffering etc. Programming, if you will. I do not think that in our hearts, humans are bad. I think that we live in our minds that have been influenced in ways that are not at all beneficial to a large degree.

Having said that, I see how more and more people are waking up. Yes the darkness is louder. But in my heart, I believe that the light is much stronger. I do not think we are doomed. The collision course we seem to be on right now, is, as I see it, part of a new beginning. Perhaps I could simply put it that we are hitting rock bottom, where everything falls apart. Because the foundations of all structures is so erroded that it must fall apart. As this happens, something more substantial and real can take its place.

I do believe this is our future. I am not talking about "armageddon". I do not believe in that. Not at all. I think the falling away of the old is well under way. As is the new. Yes, its hard to see. Perhaps only when the darkness aka misalignment becomes so loud, can people wake up from the deep sleep and finally say "NO" !!! And perhaps only when people do that, can substanative change occur. I have great hope for humankind. As grim as it all is right now, I have great hope and faith that compassion, right action, and yes, peace will be our future. I know this seems impossible. But still I have great faith that this will be.

11. Mr. Goldstein

Mr. Goldstein Well-Known Member

The future is filled with extreme human torture in the billions. I ask everyone to stop having kids, for they will detest you for bringing them into such a cruel world. Look at the billions around the world that are starving, living in poverty, face massive beatings and rapes, or are tortured by war. This is the future of all your kids and grandkids and so forth. It has always been this way and always will. It will just get worse now since we have better technology to cause more pain and suffering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.