Housemate Stress. AgnhhHHH!!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Shock, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I need some advice on how to deal with living with other people, though I think most of this is just a vent. I share a house with three others. Me (a guy), 2 blokes and a girl. All the girl ever does is complain. She puts so many restrictions on us it's becomeing really unfair. It summer in Australia and its really hot. Let me run through the dos and donts of sharing the house...

We cant use fans because they make too much noise and she cant sleep....neither can we cause its too hot. She lives in a downstairs room and apparently the fan vibreates through the floor and keeps her up. So one day when theres no one home I take the fan off its base, wrap it in a towel, put it on a padded chair and sit the chair on another towel, go down stairs and strain my ears trying to hear it. Not a peep. But she stilled complains about it. So no fan...except in her room. Which is fine.

Oh no walking either. Shoes off at the door, which is fine really. But keep the socks. Use them to slide/skie accross the floor with out lifting your feet. Moon walking is acceptable.

Dishwasher cant be run at night and keep showers and toilet flushes to a minimum. Pipes make noise. Apparently.

Computers must be muted. No exscuses if you boot it up and Windows makes any dinging noises. Same goes with mobile phones. Oh, and TV.

And speaking of phones, anything but whispered conversations are taboo.

No office chairs. You know the ones you sit on at your desk to study. Wheels make to much noise. But be careful when you take out that rickity folding chair. Lift when you pull it away from the table, not drag. Oil regularly.

Oh, heres an important one. No sex. Unless you have the mattress on the floor and your passion is displayed silently. Note mattress must not touch walls.

No shift work. Found that night job that fits nicely around study during the day? Too bad. Same goes for returning from nights out on the town.

Well, whats the obvious solution? Why swap rooms with some one upstairs of course! But no. She wont. Moving the 4 or so pieces of furniture from one room to another is by far too stressful. It might solicite an angry call from her father. Again.

Ah that felt good. The other guys in the house are at their wits end. I feel im the only one keeping the piece. I like the girl...lets call her 'Jane'...but these demands have so totally impacted on on lives. I really do realise the importance of getting a good nights sleep, I work 12 hour shifts, but we live here too. Its a SHAREhouse. However, whenever any of us try and explain this to her or tries to reach a compromise she plays the victim and says we are attacking her. I dont get how to deal with her, its not fair.

Any one got any advice for me?

Please and thank you!!

2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

wow you're nicer then I am.

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Well thank you, that made for a good laugh.

Anyways... Move out! Tell her you can't live under the burden of her desires, so you're leaving. Or tell her to shove off and make obcene gestures at her. Either way, you don't have these problems.

Can't move? Well, you could try imposing some rules on her and try the "show her what it's like" deal, but I wouldn't recommend that. I'd recommend confronting her about it, and when she plays the victim point out you're the one under the fist of her rules. She is the tyrant you are the victim.

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

What about talking to the landlord, they get the final say in the end.

5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd just tell her that she's being ridiculous and that if living with you guys is such a burden for her, she needs to move out and find a replacement for her room. Or, to switch rooms with someone so you are not such a burden on her.

6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

My flatmates are a bit cooky too. But really, a happy household is a communicative house hold. Here's how I see it:

1. The Landlord sets the terms in the contract.

2. Any issue not stipulated by the landlord or property manager should be decided by the flatemates. Majority rules in all matters except for those previously contractual stipulated points.

3. It's only important to make sure that each member of the flat know that their opinion is heard. Not that each member's opinions will be automatically followed.

4.A little conflict with resolution is much better than a longstanding period of stress.

5. You pay rent. That means you get to use the toilet. How crazy :biggrin:!

6. I suggest you guys hold a house meeting and get everything you want out of the way. You can be a real doll and get your hypersensitive flatmate a pair of earplugs, too!

But seriously, You get to make decisions in your household so long as you pay rent.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

wow..she has GOT TO BE kidding!!!!

OMG, how did you agree to all of that..Tell HER to move out. Why should you move out? She is the only being absolutely ridiculous....

8. samanalea

samanalea Member

i´d go with jameslyons: talk. not in the sense of one no means no but get all together and talk. i live in a sharing as well. i got the same rights as anyone else as i pay rent as well. same goes for you i suppose. and if her father calls to have an angry rant tell him it´s none of his bussiness, unless he´s the landlord. if her father really is the landlord you acctually might want to move out. if he´s not: tell him none of his bussiness and if neccessary just hang up on him. it´s important that everey member of a sharing is heard and taken seriously but apart from that it´s the majority rules. if she can´t live with people using the toilet at night or come home late or walk through the house, she might have to concider if living in a sharing is really the right choise for her...

good luck with that housemate of yours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.