Housemates? Bipolar issue.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by anarulesmenow, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Ok so I'm Bipolar, only just got diagnosed not on any medication yet as I just moved for uni. Moved in with my flatmates on Saturday and I think I need to say something because they have noticed my behaviour is weird. But is it too soon? They seem really nice and I'm usually so good at making new friends but my behaviour is being rather erratic due to the stress of moving and everything etc. I'm doing Psychology and one of my flatmates is too. We get on and go out but my behaviour is still odd, rapid cycling. Like I laugh a lot when I'm manic and I have been doing that and I think they find it odd, and on Sunday I was really low. I feel so so SO anxious and I think that contributes too, as when I'm anxious often I try and act like I'm not and overemphasise that. I did a lot of pacing today. Another thing is I drink a lot and I know students are meant to but my housemates don't that much (although we have been out) so I can't even disguise it as that. I'm not even as bad as I can be, I can be so much worse and if that happens I don't know what I can do.

I know I need to get meds and stop drinking so much and I will do, I'm looking into seeing a local doctor but for now what can I do. I want to stop being so odd and start being more normal but it's so much harder than that. Do I tell them, or even one of them? I'm living with them for a year, and I would like to have people want to live with me next year. I just think also that now I'm living on my own I might break down, I think I need someone to know due to that as well. Please help me. Feeling a bit low now, got round here by counting crows on repeat.

2. anarulesmenow

I'm also not eating much and it's not because I don't have food because my parents did a big shop for me. I used to have eating problems and I think I may be going back to that. I don't want to make/eat food around them in case I'm weird or make it weird if that makes sense. And being on my own I have less of a sense of grounding, I mean I know that I recognise I need help which is good but I'm still lost.

3. anarulesmenow

Sorry to make another post but I'm also thinking that if my housemates find out then they might be like 'FFS why are we stuck with the resident nutcase?'

4. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

First let me say that I'm glad to hear you've been diagnosed and can now work on addressing the bipolar. I'm not sure I'd say anything just yet. Is this your first year of school? Does the university have a student health clinic you could go to? Who diagnosed you?? Can they prescribe something for you and then have your care transferred to the new doc when you're able to get an appointment there?

As for what to do in the meantime, as much as you probably don't want to hear this, you need to stop drinking. It only makes things worse and will mess with your meds once you're on them. Keeping as regular a sleep schedule as possible is also very important for managing bipolar disorder. Even if you're not tired, get yourself into bed at a reasonable hour, listen to calm music, keep things mellow. Try to get up at the same time every day. On the days when you're feeling down, make sure you get lots of sunshine when possible. On the days when you're feeling more manic, try to minimize the sunlight and things like fast music and caffeine. Deep breathing exercises can help with both anxiety and that "racy" feeling some of us get with the manias. And please make sure you're eating. The fluctuations in blood sugar are not good for your moods, aside from the general negative effects of not eating properly. If you can cook your food when your flatmates aren't there - maybe make a few meals and then keep single servings in the freezer or fridge and heat them up as you need them - that might help you feel less awkward with the food issue.

College can be a tough time for people with bipolar - we've often just been diagnosed, we're out in the world away from the familiar securities of home, college students aren't exactly known for their regular sleep schedules or their tendency to avoid substances...I don't envy your position right now. But you have something that many people with bipolar don't: you know what's going on and can put things into place to help you avert any problems. Hopefully you can get in to see a pdoc soon. Until then, try the suggestions I've made and just give yourself time to adjust to your new surroundings. Definitely check out the student health center and try to make some connections with a clinician there in case things get out of hand and you need to see someone immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.