Housing etc

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Freya, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

No idea if anyone is going to be able to help me with this but...
    I'm in the UK for a start off (because presumably that is going to make a big difference.)
    I have always worked so I have always rented properly and not had a problem. Now I do not have a job and my credit rating is totally shot. I'm currently living with my parents but they want me gone. I do not accrue enough "points" to get council accomodation (presumably because I have no kids etc) and I cannot find a private landlord who will even consider housing benefits. Given the number of unemployed people in this country at the moment, there has to be a solution that I am not seeing?
    Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks x

2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Hi Lu,this is a really tricky one because I'm in the same position myself. When I look at rental properties all I see is "No Housing Benefit" so it's tough. I was a home owner in my previous life and then I sold my flat and privately rented. In august my tenancy was up and unless I have six months rent up front I can't get another privately rented place on account of being jobless. As far as council property goes there are too few places to go round unless your 17yrs old unmarried with kids. I'm sorry I don't have any answers but I don't know what to do myself. I'm sleeping on my mothers couch right now but I'm on borrowed time with no where to go :-(
    I really don't know what the likes of us are supposed to do anymore.

3. Freya

Mark :hug: I hope that couch isn't giving your back too much jip. At least I have a bed (for now). I just really don't understand what people like us are meant to do. There must be a system in place somewhere but I have yet to track it down. If I find out I'll let you know. I'm hoping SOMEONE here might have something resembling an answer though.
    xx

4. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I already had a bad back but thanks for the concern.I would return the hugs but I don't seem to have the emoticons any longer.:-(

5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a house or flat and how old are you? Also what area are you looking for and what is your dss limit?

6. Freya

I am looking for anything at all - flat/bedsit... just somewhere to LIVE. I'm 30 so I am entitled to "a one bedroom flat" room allowance which in this area is £109pw LHA. IF you can find any landlord to accept it.

7. justMe7

That much? That's quite a bit for someone undr 35. I can't see you having any trouble to be honest... Are you contacting estate agents, looking online, going through the housing association schemes? Honestly with that much you can get a terraced house on your own...

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/ for flats. There's an option if they accept dss on there.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent.html sometimes has properties with dss acceptance on them
    Your local estate agents would be best though.

8. Freya

The amount isn't the problem - its that on rightmove, every letting agent I have contacted, spareroom.com , easyroommate.com etc etc I cannot locate anyone willing to rent to DSS. Phonecall after phonecall of "no sorry".
    Oh - and where I live a bedsit is £100 a week. I think the LHA is only that much because of the ludicrous prices in my area.
    Thank you though :hug:

9. justMe7

Strange. Are you in a major city?

Ill have to ask someone I know. There's a government program that's has more direct access to landlords who accept dss.

*edit* 100£ pw for a bedsit??? Are you in a rich neighbourhood? I don't know how it works, but I would imagine if it's that expensive, landlords aren't going to want to rent to people on DSS. So the only wy you could is if you know someone who can say they are going to rent the property, then "sublet" it to you whre you pay them the DSS and they pay the landlord. Or more realistically, move out of the area unfortunatly. :S

10. Freya

I'm gonna PM you where I am since I don't want to announce it to the world. And thank you again :hug:

11. justMe7

ok :) It might take me a day to find out about these goverment programs. I'm not on dss but I have friend who is, so they know the routes to securing accomidation.

12. Freya

You're awesome - thank you so much!

13. justMe7

You can contact your local council, and ask to speak to the homeless advice officer. They should give you advice on what you are entitled to, and give you a list of all the landlords in your local area that accept DSS, and the governments paper bond scheme. The government paper bond scheme can only be acquired by going through the homeless advice officer.

The Homeless advice officer will also provide lists of local housing associations. These associations work alongside the council, who rent them from the housing association. They apparently have in-expensive rent and work on a priority scheme, and don't require a bond to move in. I think most of this is going to be down to your presentation unfortunately. Not saying lie, but be forthright with the information. Even if that means going to the doctor and telling him about the situation and how it's making your depression worse.(sorry im just assuming you have it because of the nature of this forum. Sorry if i'm mistaken). The doctors can even put you intouch with companies that will find housing for you which avoid house shares because of depression. If you do get a note from the doctor, that will put you in immediate priority with the housing association.

The best thing to do, is to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. They work alongside the government and will tell you exactly what you are entitled to, how to go about getting it.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Hope some of this helps.

14. Freya

Blake - if I could hug you right now I totally would. Thank you soooo much! :hug: :hug:

15. justMe7

lol It's my friend who deserves the credit, but thanks :D I really hope it works out. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.