How are family affected?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Goose, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goose

Goose Member

I'm a teenager and I was wondering how parents are affected if you kill yourself?

Thanks.

2. I'd imagine they'd be destroyed.

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

We'll i don't think they'd be dancing with joy!!

*drops sarcasm*

I'd imagine losing a child would be very traumatic, it would destroy their lives. I've seen the grief people go through when loosing a child. It's heart breaking. Don't think anyone can truely answer this question .... but yeah, they'd be devastated.

4. Goose

Goose Member

But if you're dead, you don't even have the ability to think.

5. I've been wonder this for a long time...

I really wanna be able to make them understand why I did it... give them a chance to talk to me one last time but I think they'd just think I'm crazy
    I figure if you tell them about it first it might make it easier... what does everyone think of this? Should I? I just don't want them to think I'm crazy and waste the last days of my life trying to convince me to live :sad:

6. True, if YOU are dead.
    But your family arn't.
    They'd be living every second of every day wondering and thinking why and blaming themselves, crying themselves to sleep at night, maybe sink into depression and end up killing themselves...

7. belle

belle Member

a friend of mine killed themselves. It's taken me over 2 years to move on from. To be honest if it was my family I think it would be a life sentence. I do understand though- I attempted suicide when I was 19. I'm now 29 and I realise I was then clinically depressed and needed medical help (I didn;t get it). The years since have after the recovery had love, friendship, marriage. All things I could not see when I was depressed (the nature if the illness is such- it's like living in a trench and being unable to see the future). I am so lucky I did not die

8. belle

belle Member

and the illness (depression) essentially means you recover quicker with medical attension but most people will recover spontaeously within a year

9. belle

belle Member

all the best goose. Knowing what I know now, depression is easily treated and you can get help. If you don't feel strong enough then it WILL get better even without treatment, so ride it out and stay strong. Hugs to you.

10. icerain

icerain Well-Known Member

people will react and be affected in many different ways. i do not know your background as to why you are here, and what your relationship is with your parents, but i have seen the parents who have lost a child to suicide. it is not nice. i know it was (and even after 20 years) and still is, extremely difficult for them. do you have siblings? remember they are a big part of your life, even if you don't realize it. they will probably have a hard time dealing with your 'abandonment'. if they are living thru the same things, how will you know that they will not follow in your footsteps because they now do not have you? what about friends? even if you don't think you have anybody, somebody will be affected, and probably feel guilty for it.
    just remember it is not something you cannot look back on and say 'oops'. it is permanant, and it is everyone else who is left to deal with your decision. you are in one of the most difficult times of your life right now, but it is a right of passage, just like in tribes, that you must endure. you are not alone, everybody has difficulties with it. be strong.

11. A_Loser

A_Loser Well-Known Member

Family is the only thing keeping me here. If it weren't for them, i'd be long gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.