How Bad Is This?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by fromthatshow, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I am drunk a few times a week. I already know being drunk that often is unhealthy. But what is really bad is that after a night of drinking I take all my medication afterward. I try to wait a while, but nights like last night I blacked out so took them anyway. I woke up this morning and it was hard to breathe and my heart is still racing. I called poison control like 10 minutes ago because I thought it might be that bad but they said I'd probably be throwing up.

My pills include benzos and sleeping pills. So, long-term... does being drunk while taking medication damage your liver a great deal more than just drinking alone? Like does it affect you doubly or something?

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Yes Spencer, most of the prescription (and non-prescription) meds are broken down by the liver and/or kidneys. So, alcohol does put extra strain on those and other organs. I'm no professional, just done alot of reading on how meds are broken down in the system. Please take care...

Miek

3. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

if the liver damaged happend by drinking...the absorbtion of the medication can be effected/increase.

4. fromthatshow

Thanks. Yes I knew there was an increase I was just wondering how bad it actually is.
    And was also kind of posting because I've been scared all day cuz the way my body is acting.
    :grouphug:

5. fromthatshow

I definitely need help. Blackout drunk + the meds I'm on = possible death. So not a good idea.

6. What meds do you take per se? I think it would perhaps take an affect on you a lot considering that alcohol is considered a "poison" to your liver and your liver has to filter it out and plus with the medication you take...And if youu're having black outs then i'm guessing that its pretty bad.

7. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

exactly, combined drug intoxication is seriously not a good idea.
    and benzo's are probably one of the worst things to take with booze.

although i cannot really comment because im doing the same!

8. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Don't you two have any sense of self preservation? I don't want to be mean here, but seriously, how stupid can you get? Your old age/oncoming illness will be very unpleasant if you keep going down this road.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  9. Bubble

Bubble Well-Known Member

This is why theyre posting in the substance abuse folder, because substance abuse is also an illness, Tobes.

Fromthatshow - If you are blacking out then there is clearly a problem. Have you thought about getting help for your addiction to alcohol? Or are you not ready?
    If your body is acting differently its probably because something is failing to work up to standard, kidney/liver whatever it may be id go get that checked out.

10. fromthatshow

Well self preservation kind of gets pushed backed when you're feeling suicidal.

I've tried AA, it doesn't seem to work for me. And I've gone through programs for dual diagnosis. :dunno:

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do you know why you're drinking? Knowing why can be key to help you find the type of therapy that will suit you.

And what I mean is- you're using it to cope, but with what. And it's finding the right person who can deal with the complexities that are the reasons behind your drinking- it's difficult to find that person though.

I remember you saying you had a therapist. Are you still seeing that person? Do they know about the drinking blackouts and the medication you take while in those states? cos when you're blacked out, it means you're vulnerable and you're putting yourself at risk doing what you are doing.

12. fromthatshow

I've had to change therapists a lot because of insurance issues. I have one right now who knows. And my psychologist (who is separate from my therapist) knows which is why they're trying to ween my off benzos. When I talk about drinking they've been more apt in the past to tell me to stop drinking so much rather than take me off the dangerous meds. I suppose I should be more specific with them about the problems.

And I know I'm using it to cope with the fact that I feel I have no future and my life is meaningless. I've felt that way since I was 14.

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

OK, I'm glad they're doing something to keep you physically safe, by weaning you off benzos. Then again, alcohol seems to be taking the place of benzodiazepines for you.

What does alcohol give you that your medication doesn't?

14. fromthatshow

Escape :heart:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.