How can I find a therapist?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by TaraJo, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

So, I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend who was diagnosed with the same thing a long time ago and I'm having to kinda rely on her experience for advice on how to handle it. The biggest, single, most important piece of advice that she gives me is to find a therapist, preferably one who specializes in borderline personality disorder.

And I want to follow that advice, more than just about anything. Only one big problem: I'm broke. I have very little money and I'm using that to cover basic living expenses. I have no health insurance, either. How do I find a therapist to help me if under those conditions?

For that matter, I can't even take meds to help stabilize my mood because, once again, I have no money or resources. I don't much like psych meds after some of the negative experiences I had with them as a teen, but..... I think I do need them, at least for now. Again, how can I get help here?
  2. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as you are. No money and insurance, but a friend of mine checked with the hospital and they gave him a list of local therapists. So what I did was called each until I found one that works on a "adjusted pay scale" (I forget the correct word). Anyway the way it works is they charge 1 dollar per every thousand you make. So for example if you make only 10,000 a year than your visit each time would only be 10 bucks.
  3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

your state must have some sort of safety net health care for low or no income people.Try googling your state and mental health and low income,etc.
  4. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Yeah, I tried. They told me I don't have a "severe mental health issue." Which is ironic because I was sitting there with fresh cuts all over my arm. Idiots!

Well, hopefully, I'll have a job soon. And I can use insurance from that job to get a therapist. Wish me luck!
  5. Zola

Zola Antiquities Friend

Choice of a therapist is VERY important. You must be selective. Shop around. Find someone you're comfortable sharing your innermost thoughts and feelings with. Even if you're in the US, go to the city or county Health Department and ask them. They will usually supply you with a list of local doctors who have agreed to provide their services without cost. But be very wary in your choice and feel VERY free to change therapists if you feel that one of them isn't living up to your expectations. I'm a 6-therapist experienced user and know at least a little bit about this.

6. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

The drug companies will supply meds to people with no resources to get meds. You can find company information online and request they send you an application.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.