How can I fit in at school?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Warrior2089, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warrior2089

Warrior2089 Active Member

I'm going into my sophomore year in high school (15 y/o male). For as long as I can remember, I've been an avoidant type person when it comes to interacting with others. I'm really calm and tend to not act excited or be loud unless the situation really calls for it.

I see everyone around me always laughing and having fun when I'm just quiet waiting for class to be over or whatever, so I'm scared that I'm not going to fit in. Me being quiet has actually caused some people and a few teachers in the past to think I'm mentally handicapped, which put an ultimate low on my self esteem.

Also it's good to mention that my older brother suffers very severe social anxiety: so does my mom and grandma so it's been passed down to me.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi its hard when you shy my daughter was like you. Is there a councillor you can talk about your shyness. I know getting involved in some activities after school helped joined the band basketball track and field. Not everybody can be loud people are different thats all. You will meet up with people that are more calm like yourself and hang out with them too. Have you seen a therapist about your anxiety maybe being on meds might help. Talk it over with your doctor okay. Just be yourself and try to talk with people a bit more okay take care enjoy your highschool years get involved with year book committee etc.. that way you will meet new people.

3. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Don’t worry about fitting in. Being one of the ‘cool kids’ is bullshit. I used to hang out with the ‘popular’ (preppy, annoying, selfish, self-centered) kids. Now, I realize those really aren’t the kids you want to be with. They are all fake (try to be who they think they need to be to fit in). It’s disgusting, and its pathetic.
    Besides, from what both my sisters have said, all of the ‘cool’ kids end up being boring people as soon as high school ends.

Where am I going with this? Find a few people you can connect with, that you are comfortable with. Don’t worry about being liked by everyone or even most people, because most people are not worth your troubles/time anyways. Don't try and force yourself into friendships. They will come.

When it comes to friends, its quality over quantity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.